• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking amd fx 4100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oSERIALoAPEISTo

Registered
I would like to reach 5ghz or as close as possible but this is what i have.

Processor-AMD FX-4100 X4 3600MHZ 8MB 95W AM3+
Processor Cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Graphics Card-XFX Radeon HD 6870 900M 2GB DDR5 PCIe
Motherboard-MSI 760GM-E51(FX) AMD 760 SOCKET
Case-Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid Tower ATX Case
RAM-VISIONTEK 8GB (2X4GB) PC3-10600 DDR3-1333MHZ
PSU-ULTRA LSP650 650W ATX POWER SUPPLY
Thanks for any help :D

Your motherboard will hold you back more than anything. It looks like it has 4 power phase and no VRM cooling. That is not good for achieving high overclocks.

Even if you did get as far as I did, you'd soon be held back by temps. I hit the temperature threshold with mine at ~4.8GHz (in my sig) with my Hyper 212+ and that was in the middle of winter with all my windows open and a fan blowing towards my computer while I was shivering trying to type in numbers into my BIOS. :D

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :welcome:

I didn't have much change in temps until after 4.6GHz, I got up that high with only a little Vcore but after that I really had to pump the voltage to it and that's where most of your heat will come from.

this is what i got so far... Stress test highest is 44c

Untitled_zps186e9f83.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Untitled1_zpsa49b6b5d.png

Your motherboard will hold you back more than anything. It looks like it has 4 power phase and no VRM cooling. That is not good for achieving high overclocks.

Even if you did get as far as I did, you'd soon be held back by temps. I hit the temperature threshold with mine at ~4.8GHz (in my sig) with my Hyper 212+ and that was in the middle of winter with all my windows open and a fan blowing towards my computer while I was shivering trying to type in numbers into my BIOS. :D

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :welcome:

Thanks for the welcome just seen it :screwy:

Idle temps mean nothing, Fx processors are in accurate below 40c when not under load. Download Prime 95, Hwmonitor "non pro" and Cpu-Z then open Hwmonitor and run prime 95 for 20 minutes. Then post screen shots of Hwmonitor and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Speed and memory.

Idle temps mean nothing, Fx processors are in accurate below 40c when not under load. Download Prime 95, Hwmonitor "non pro" and Cpu-Z then open Hwmonitor and run prime 95 for 20 minutes. Then post screen shots of Hwmonitor and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Speed and memory.

Take screen shots while prime95 is still running after 20 mins or stop it after 20 mins and take screen shots?

That board is getting farther than I thought it would... lol (Anybody else wondering when the VRMs will go "POP!"?)

Just curious, what is the ambient temperature, and what thermal paste are you using?

Thanks... Its 78F in my room right now.. sweating lol... I just used the cheap cooler master paste that came with it for right now lol. I also only have 1 120mm cooler master fan in the front so trust me i'm just as surprised.

Wow. You're about where mine was at around 4.7GHz, that's when I needed like 1.46V Vcore. At 4.6GHz I only needed 1.36V, then I had to really start giving it volts. For 4.83GHz I was at 1.5, I was sticking to the max voltage of 1.55V and the max temp of 55 degrees C

You're at about 50C right now. Be careful. You might get a hundred more MHz out of it with a little more Vcore... but I really don't know what your VRMs are doing. Don't happen to have one of those laser thermometers, do you? :D

EDIT: I also don't know how hot VRMs can get or if there's a temp monitor on the motherboard that HWmonitor is showing. I never really paid any attention to that, only Vcore and CPU temps.

Wow. You're about where mine was at around 4.7GHz, that's when I needed like 1.46V Vcore. At 4.6GHz I only needed 1.36V, then I had to really start giving it volts. For 4.83GHz I was at 1.5, I was sticking to the max voltage of 1.55V and the max temp of 55 degrees C

You're at about 50C right now. Be careful. You might get a hundred more MHz out of it with a little more Vcore... but I really don't know what your VRMs are doing. Don't happen to have one of those laser thermometers, do you? :D

EDIT: I also don't know how hot VRMs can get or if there's a temp monitor on the motherboard that HWmonitor is showing. I never really paid any attention to that, only Vcore and CPU temps.

Just checked i do have a laser temp lol and my vrms are at 48c

And that isn't that hot either.

Do you notice any multiplier drops while watching the CPU tab of CPUID while running prime95? (aka throttling)

Ok, Try setting your FSB to 210 at your current settings and test to see if it's stable.

You'll want to leave prime95 running for a long time if you want to test for true stability, I usually leave it running overnight after I see that temps are ok and check it in the morning. to see if there's any errors.

Back