• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Picking a new MOBO for SLI and overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enrich

Hey,
Current Rig
Lian-Li
Asus M4N75TD
AMD 555 Dual Unlocked to Quad B44 (Stock Speed)
Sli Gtx 550 Ti (Stock)
Ocz Vertex Plus 120gb SSD
3x SATA 250 Drives (Soon to be raid)
Asus Sonar DG
4gb of Patriot 1600Mhz *don't remeber
750W Thermaltake Powersupply

Cooling: Prolimatech Megashadow 2 8 loom fans :)

I wanted to upgrade my board for overclocking but I still want the ability to use Sli. I currently think my machine is bottle necking I get random frame drops ever so often.... (60 FPs down to 20 then back up to 60 at times in games. within a sec looking at a wall sometimes.)

Downside is I need to buy it with my bestbuy creditcard in thier market place which links 3rd party sellers and I did see some greatdeals. I also want an asus board since I love them for quality. I don't want to spend more then $150 too.

I just don't know if I should stick with 980 series or jump to the amd side for the bridge.

Let me know.

Any help would be great :)

I don't want anything with Nvidia for a chipset if that is what you meant by 980 which I think is 680 really.

Once you say $150.00 or less you have no chance to buy the better 990FX Sabretooth board I would buy. So just look at BestBuy website and get the best Asus $150.00 mobo that does SLI with a 9xx series AMD chipset. That about does it. Not a problem really with the set dollar price you have spoken of.

Best Buy sells the Model: M5A99X EVO for just a little over $145.00. Looks pretty good since you are not going over $150.00.

I ment the 980 chipset. Not the video card.

Any who, I did loook into that board but I have another problem. I just purchased the that sound card listed and it has a built in headphone amp and they sound great. I saw that that board would cause and issue with that sound card if I go SLi.....So I don't know what to do right now.

Unless I go with the new FM1 boards and get a new CPU....but what that be better?

Too Bad

You're not going with the Sabertooth 990FX, it's killer. Full Raid, SLI, over clocks easily. But yeah, pushing $200 for it, still though.

Sell your Bestbuy gift card, and get the money to buy a used Crosshair IV/V on geeks.com or on classified section. The Crosshair IV is pretty cheap now, you can grab em for less than $100 shipped easily. For SLI hack, you can read this one.

Back