• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help to o/c PIII 700E at 133 FSB with SA6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

qc

Registered
Someone with ideas, please help.
For information read below ...

What have you tried?
Have you upped the voltage a bit?
Do you use thermal grease? (What are your temps, btw?)

The orb is no super cooler, but it should get you to 133FSB.

What stepping is your CPU? If its cA2, I don't think you can get more out of it.

We need more info! :)

I tried even 1.95V core but - windows protection error. :((
or registry error.
Thermal grease comes with cooler - don't know the name.
CPU is cC0 steping.
Where is the problem?

Try removing all PCI devices and such, and see if it overclocks better. Could be a NIC holding you down or something like that. If it works, install one device at a time, until things go wrong again. Then you have found the culprit.

What power supply do you have?
Have you tried setting the RAM to CAS3?
Any way to try booting from another HD?

What are your temperatures? (Core and case)

qc notes that he has idle of 30 C and a load temperature of 50 C in another post elsewhere.

I would say that until he get the load temp down to sub 40's, he isn't going anywhere.

qc, reapply the thermal compound (not paste, ... but the kind you get at Radio Shack or a brand name like Artic Silver) and make sure you have good thermal contact with the cpu. If that doesn't bring it down, then I think you might just need a better cooling system or a better processor.

anvil

I have 2 abit mobos based on the bx chipset though. look in your soft bios settings and make sure you have your pci divisor set to 1/4 and your agp set to 2/4 and see if that works!
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Allan I don't have any PCI devices, only sound onboard but I disable it.One AGP and a hard disk ATA 100.
Do you think that disk may be the Problem?

If it is a temp , I think that comp must boot , load Windows and then die .

May be the problem is in the bios settings - someone with SA6 , SA6R or mobo with i815EP.
In some russian sites i read that there is a problem with combination PIII E's /100 Mhz/ + i815EP + PC133 at 133 FSB

I wait for suggestions.

Some Abit boards have trouble with the 133MHz FSB setting, try 134... just a thought. I don't think the hard drive is holding you back.

It could easily be a temp problem! (No guarantee that the comp would boot, and then BSOD or die. Maybe it just won't boot.)

You must apply a paper thin layer of thermal grease. Was the orb shipped with any thermal grease? If not, be sure to get some. It is very important! Be sure that the orb is properly seated on the CPU. I've seen good results with lapped orbs, so that might also be worth a try.

Lapping is done to make the heat sink more even, or 'flat'. If you look carefully at the bottom of the orb, you will see small circular marks all over it. If you lap these away, it will be much better at removing the heat from the CPU.

You need to get some very fine sand paper, and a piece of something very flat, like a piece of glass. Lap the bottom of the orb (don't lap the CPU) with the sandpaper, and be sure to use to glass, so it will be totally flat. Apply the grease, and reinstall the orb.

Good luck with it! :)

10x Allan, I'll tray to lap my orb.
This paper thin layer of thermal grease must be all over the bottom of the orb or in circular area only?
Is noname thermal grease will help?

anvil (Jun 25, 2001 12:07 p.m.):
qc notes that he has idle of 30 C and a load temperature of 50 C in another post elsewhere.

I would say that until he get the load temp down to sub 40's, he isn't going anywhere.

qc, reapply the thermal compound (not paste, ... but the kind you get at Radio Shack or a brand name like Artic Silver) and make sure you have good thermal contact with the cpu. If that doesn't bring it down, then I think you might just need a better cooling system or a better processor.

anvil

I agree with this... 50*C is flaming hot for a PIII. I think the chip itself has potential for 133mhz++, but has to be cool :) ...definitely use thermal paste too (preferably AS2).

Also, the orb might not be sufficient for OCing past a certain point. I also saw you raised you V to 1.95...I think this might be the cause of some of the temp problems. I believe higher voltage = more heat. I can get to 933mhz (133*7) and 966mhz (138*7) with only 1.75v.

I have got my PIII 700e up to 980mhz (140*7) with 1.8v and cpu temps of 42*C, but cannot go past there, probably temps are holding me back. Just some thoughts. :)

qc (Jun 27, 2001 08:50 a.m.):
10x Allan, I'll tray to lap my orb.
This paper thin layer of thermal grease must be all over the bottom of the orb or in circular area only?
Is noname thermal grease will help?

Just add the grease to the cpu core only. It'll do.
Noname thermal grease is better than nothing, but not as good as Arctic Silver I & II.

Be sure that the orb is well seated on the CPU! Remember that the orb is NO super cooler, and better cooling might be a good idea. However, a lapped orb with some good thermal grease should shave some of the temps off.

Good luck!

Recommend me some coolers better than orb.
With links to reviews if you know ..

hhmm.. coolers, well most every hardware site out there has reviews of HS/F combos because of their importance in modern systems. I believe we have a few reviews here on the main page. I personally have an Alpha HS which works very well for me. some other sites that also have reviews would probably be tomshardware.com and anandtech.com.

It also depends how much you wanna spend. All copper HSs seem to be the cool things now and supposedly cool very well, but cost more.

From what you said though, improved case cooling is the key for you. You could have the best HS in the world on there, but if your case temps are 39 C under load, your gonna be running really hot.

*edit*...as a test, try taking your side covers off the case and blow a house fan on the cpu and see what your load temps are then. If you don't see an big improvement, I'll hang up my OCing hat...j/k.

e_storm (Jun 28, 2001 07:53 a.m.):
*edit*...as a test, try taking your side covers off the case and blow a house fan on the cpu and see what your load temps are then. If you don't see an big improvement, I'll hang up my OCing hat...j/k.

Don't say that, I tried this and it didn't work on my system, needed a case fan and case mod in order to more efficiently make the heat exchange...

hate to see you leave!

I decided first to lap my orb
2/ find a good thermal paste
3/ cut holes in case and apply fans

If that don't work I'll kill my self /at least/

Pinky (Jun 28, 2001 10:08 a.m.):
e_storm (Jun 28, 2001 07:53 a.m.):

Don't say that, I tried this and it didn't work on my system, needed a case fan and case mod in order to more efficiently make the heat exchange...

hate to see you leave!

I'd normally think this wouldn't make a big difference either (depending on case fan setup), but the reason I suggested it to him was because he told me his case temps under load were 39* C and cpu was 50* C, with an ambient in the mid 20s. Thats a case temp of 14*C above ambient. I think by getting some good airflow over the board, it should reduce temps. What does everyone else think?

e_storm (Jun 28, 2001 12:14 p.m.):
[What does everyone else think?

I think that SOME airflow MUST be better than NO airflow... :)

To qc: Try taking off the sides on your case as well, just to test it. Should help those case temps down a bit. If you are still looking for better heatsinks, I'll post a few links for you here:

Glaciator - http://www.overclockers.com/articles425/
Alpha PEP66 - http://www.overclockers.com/articles105/

and check this one also

e_storm (Jun 28, 2001 12:14 p.m.):
I'd normally think this wouldn't make a big difference either (depending on case fan setup), but the reason I suggested it to him was because he told me his case temps under load were 39* C and cpu was 50* C, with an ambient in the mid 20s. Thats a case temp of 14*C above ambient. I think by getting some good airflow over the board, it should reduce temps. What does everyone else think?

I was only kidding, and more than likely it works. My apartment is always warm so there's not much I can do beside buying a fancy cooling contraption which would cost me more than the cpus are worth.

Back