• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with a $700 gaming build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Hey all, trying to help my boss('s son) with getting a build together for about $700. Wants the best bang for the buck and to be good for gaming. He has a 23'' 1080p screen already as well as keyboard+mouse. So essentially just needs the tower built.

He doesn't know how to overclock, but I wouldn't rule it out in an off chance (but I wouldn't bet on it being OCed immediately)

OS Isn't needed.

MicroCenter is available.

This is what I put together for him: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Kl6I

The case is what he picked out, so I'm stuck with that. The rest are my choices. He said that it would be great if an SSD could fit into the build, but not 100% required. Needed the mechanical for game storage.

What do you guys think, opinions?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.46 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.50 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($199.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Apevia X-DREAMER4-GN ATX Mid Tower Case ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $710.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-03 10:43 EDT-0400)

Looks good to me. PSU is overkill as you know, but its a solid deal assuming the MIR comes through.

I would look at CX500 for $50 ($30 after MIR).

Yeah, I figured the PSU could be used if for some reason he wanted to add another card sometime in the future. Will probably recommend waiting on purchase until the new Radeon cards come out which will likely drive down prices.

IIRC the WD Blue 1TB goes on sale quite a bit for $60, I would get him that for the meager difference.

Like Joe said, PSU is overkill, but a deal is a deal.

Back