• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with OC'ing E6400 on Abit AB9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
I've been pushing my E6400 with advice from the vets on this forum. Is there anyone out there that have experience with OCing a C2D on a Abit AB9 mobo?
I'm currently at 3.4 GHz at 1.3 V in Bios, see pic below. I do encounter stability problems when running Orthos, it gives me the rounding error, other than that everyting works OK in Windows XP.

Would appreciate advise so I can squeeze another few notches out of this fine piece of electronics.

Last edited:
Evilsizer has an AB9, he's a good resource. I built one AB9 rig for a buddy, so I have some limited experience with that board. I currently have an Abit AW9D.

Like I said in your other thread, that Abit motherboard definitely requires a BIOS update, if you haven't already done that yet.

I also bet if you measured the vcore under load, it's probably more like 1.25v or something less than the 1.3v you set in the BIOS. You will need more voltage to go farther. Heck, my E6600 has a default vcore of 1.325v, so 1.3v is low.

Once you start going over 400 FSB, you might need to raise the MCH and ICHIO voltage a little (maybe 1.3v and 1.55v).

Brolloks said:
I've been pushing my E6400 with advice from the vets on this forum. Is there anyone out there that have experience with OCing a C2D on a Abit AB9 mobo?
I'm currently at 3.4 GHz at 1.3 V in Bios, see pic below. I do encounter stability problems when running Orthos, it gives me the rounding error, other than that everyting works OK in Windows XP.

Would appreciate advise so I can squeeze another few notches out of this fine piece of electronics.
Looks like you have a solid B stepped Conroe. While this might be hard to believe most people like myself need 1.45v to get to the speed you are at. My E6400 is currentally at 439 x 8 @ 1.53v (3.5). Also as batboy suggested your chipset voltage is a bit on the low side, again, most people use around 1.45-1.55~1.6v. Also be prepared to raise the vdimm into the 2.2-2.4v range for maximum peformance for your RAM.

If your temps are below 50c* idle 70c* load crank it up until you hit around that ballpark figure.

Also there is a new BIOS that allows for the 1333FSB strap which will allow you to get close/over the 500 mark. If you havent updated your BIOS recentally I would look there first.

Based on what I see you should be able to hit in the 3.7-3.8ghz range if you are @ 3.4 at default voltage.

If you get a rounding error in Orthos its not stable. Jump the volts up a little bit and it should solve that issue for being unstable in Orthos that is. Does gaming or anything else you do crash at that speed/voltage? If not you found a nice median that I had with one of my other chips while it was orthos stable at 3.4Ghz, I could run 3.5Ghz and it would act totally stable.

I've gotten some nice clocks on my board (its a Asus board though) but 3.4Ghz is still nice even if its booting at that with such a low voltage. BTW what does Core Temp say for VID, and whats your temps in windows under load?

batboy said:
Evilsizer has an AB9, he's a good resource. I built one AB9 rig for a buddy, so I have some limited experience with that board. I currently have an Abit AW9D.

Like I said in your other thread, that Abit motherboard definitely requires a BIOS update, if you haven't already done that yet.

I also bet if you measured the vcore under load, it's probably more like 1.25v or something less than the 1.3v you set in the BIOS. You will need more voltage to go farther. Heck, my E6600 has a default vcore of 1.325v, so 1.3v is low.

Once you start going over 400 FSB, you might need to raise the MCH and ICHIO voltage a little (maybe 1.3v and 1.55v).
Thanks Batboy and to others for the good advice. My Bios is the latest, VCore shows actually as 1.25 using Abit monitoring software. I'll bump up the VCore and the MCH and ICHIO voltage a little, will let you guys know after work what happens. Glad to hear this is a "good" OC'ble CPU.

deathman20 said:
If you get a rounding error in Orthos its not stable. Jump the volts up a little bit and it should solve that issue for being unstable in Orthos that is. Does gaming or anything else you do crash at that speed/voltage? If not you found a nice median that I had with one of my other chips while it was orthos stable at 3.4Ghz, I could run 3.5Ghz and it would act totally stable.

I've gotten some nice clocks on my board (its a Asus board though) but 3.4Ghz is still nice even if its booting at that with such a low voltage. BTW what does Core Temp say for VID, and whats your temps in windows under load?

Gaming and Other apps works fine at 3.4GHz, then again it does not put the CPU under 100% like Orthos does.
Core Temps are a steady 25 C at CPU idle and around 43 C under 60% CPU load.

Made it to 3.4 GHZ with 1.3 Volts and 50 C under load !!

OK, I followed Batboy' advice bumping all voltages and I got a (so far) stable system at 3.4 GHz after 15 min running Orthos and doing e-mails, surfing web etc. Temps ar running at about 50 C under 100% load. V-Core at 1.3 Volts

Shall I push the juice some more?

Last edited:
Thats up to you.. alot of people are comfortable with 65C under 100% load, but far more are comfortable with 60C or less. you still have a little room.

just noticed your thread sorry i dont notice some threads for some reason. have you pushed it any futher? for a allendale E6400 that's a nice oc.

Back