• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need opinions & recommendations on desktop speakers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

I was looking to get a decent set of PC speakers so I against better judgement went to Worst Buy and picked up Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 speakers. I listened to them in the store and was very impressed by the bass that the subwoofer was able to put out and the clarity of the satellite speakers. I do however find the $160 price tag a little steep for a 2.1 setup. I was wondering while I still have the 30 day return policy in effect is there any other I should look into? I'm really impressed by the way these sound in my office it's huge rich deep room filling sound but I wonder if I could find a 5.1 set that sounds this good for this price.

Im sure there are some audiophiles here that can save the day and make a good recommendation.

I was looking at the Logitech Z-5500 set but it's a little steep.

I wound up having my dad get the klipsh as well. They sound great, can get LOUD, and are still going strong with no hiccups over a year later.

I find the the pro media series under priced as it is. Getting a 5.1 or 7.1 for similar money just wont sound as good. If you like the sound, I'd say dont constrain yourself in the "its only 2.1" box. Unless you have a very large room, it shouldn't matter too much.

Im worried about the stupid din plug those things ALWAYS screw up and end up ruining an entire system.

Every single time

Get some nice stereo speakers (ideally 10" or bigger woofer) at the local Goodwill or similar along with a receiver with S/PDIF input. (Hint: the ones without HDMI tend to go for cheap nowadays.)

Get some nice stereo speakers (ideally 10" or bigger woofer) at the local Goodwill or similar along with a receiver with S/PDIF input. (Hint: the ones without HDMI tend to go for cheap nowadays.)

Eh, klipsch speakers ARE nice. Like harmon kardon nice.

Yea, I think that setup is pretty good at the price point.

How do they sound to you? If audio quality isn't super important (like, audio production important), and you want to drop the price, Logitech makes some decent stuff in the $60-$80 range that are great for things like filling up your office with music and the like.

That Klipsch uses an outdated analog connection. Digital is the way to go nowadays. HDMI has the added advantage of supporting more than 2 channels natively, but S/PDIF is every bit as good with just 2 channels.

They sound amazing it's just the idea of spending 160 bucks on a two channel system that really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'm debating the return though but I'm heavily considering it and just taking that money along with something else and getting a 980ti. Hahahah

They sound amazing it's just the idea of spending 160 bucks on a two channel system that really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'm debating the return though but I'm heavily considering it and just taking that money along with something else and getting a 980ti. Hahahah

o_O you're getting your money's worth out of that setup, I promise. To get that level of quality in 5.1 or 7.1, add 5-700$. DIN or not, its impossible to beat that setup at that price.

Nothing wrong with a stereo setup for music, music is only recorded in stereo anyway.

I agree, unless you get really lucky, that's probably the best sounding setup you will find for $160.

Back