• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need ram suggestions for game server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grendel0501

My pc is getting old and its honestly past time to upgrade, but I am going to try my damnedest to wait until Nvidia Pascal to build a 4k rig. :comp:

Current Rig, built in 2011
Intel 2500k
Gigabyte Mobo
G Skill 8gig ddr3 1600 9-9-9-24-2n
GTX 580 1.5gig gpu
240 gig SSD

What I think I need most right now is to upgade to 16 gigs instead of 8.
I'm running a Ark Survival server for some friends and we are starting to notice a lot of lag the bigger the world gets.
I can stand running on medium graphics for another year (fingers crossed its only a year), but the server lag is killing me.

Should I just get another 2x4g kit from GSkill to match what I have? Or would a newer 2x8gig setup help my performance?

You sure it's a ram issue? I would confirm before you go buy more for no reason.

I'd go 2x8gb personally... but if you have to add to what you have, make sure it matches.

I was assuming ram was the issue, bc task manager says I am using about 7.6 of 8.

Give it time, lol...

Can you get matching 2x4s? Go with that, cheaper. Or Just grab some 2x8gb DDR3 2133 cl9 and call it day. Brand is your choice as they should all be fine. :)

Good timing on your part OP, as ram pricing is super cheap. As ED said, try to get matching sticks and I would also agree to buy 2-8gb matched sticks. I have great experiences with G. skill and all my builds use their ram products

Back