• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with watercooling setup! gpu and cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NorvegiaOST

Registered
Hello there my lovely people! I have now decided to try watercooling for the first time on my new setup. As I have never tried watercooling before I do need some help with my setup. The pc build has not been ordered yet so tips there aswell would be nice, im uncertain about the pc case and motherboard.
Also im courios about the PSU as I could go up to two 290s in the future, and with that and overclocking I dont know if I would require a better PSU.

Pc build

AMD Radeon 290
Intel Core i7 4770k
ASUS Maximus VI Formula
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
Corsair RM850
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB
Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Corsair 8GB DDR3 Vengeance LP

Watercooling setup so far (be gental first try :p)

EK-Supremacy
EK-FC R9-290X
EK-FC R9-290X Backplate
Bitspower Z-multi 250
AquaComputer Double Protect Ultra
EK-CSQ Fitting 10/16mm G1/4 (ive added 6 of these is that enough?)
GELID GC-Extreme
PrimoFlex Advanced LRT, 3/8"ID -5/8"OD
EK Coolstream radiator, RAD XTX (360), 3x120-64
Swiftech MCP655
3 Noiseblocker BlackSilent PRO PK2, 140x25

I really would appriciate any input, as I have close to no idea what im doing.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Last edited:
Welcome to OCFs!

As a first time watercooler, please take the time and read our watercooling stickies. Read up and look up for some build logs with that case and videos. Take your time and get back to us when you're set. :thup:

Hello mate! Thanks for answering so fast ^^

I have read up many of the guides here and a lot more on other sites and I feel quite comfident on the assembly. But its in the front of the sea of components I still feel a little lost. Does the components I have picked make a good setup or should I change something? Should I add another rad to the loop?

After looking at build logs like you recommended I have scetched out my loop aswell. I had so much fun with my first pc build 3 years ago so I cant wait to get started on this one, especially with the new exciting factor of water cooling added. :D

Attachments

• 202359-4.jpg
    202359-4.jpg
    752.1 KB · Views: 146
I would change from arctic silver to Gelid Extreme. Well worth the couple of extra dollars. Will lower temps by 3° to 5°C..

I have just finished a build with this case and I did go alittle over kill on the rad but it will serve me past this build and for years
I am running a 480mm rad on bottom push/pull fans for cpu only and will add a other 480mm rad up top for the gpu's
To me the price for a 360 verses a 480 is not much more
With a case like that no reason to skimp on rads and regret later
Im sure people will disagree with me but do your research cause in the end its yours

I have just finished a build with this case and I did go alittle over kill on the rad but it will serve me past this build and for years
I am running a 480mm rad on bottom push/pull fans for cpu only and will add a other 480mm rad up top for the gpu's
To me the price for a 360 verses a 480 is not much more
With a case like that no reason to skimp on rads and regret later
Im sure people will disagree with me but do your research cause in the end its yours

I might go for a 480 rad now and then if I decide to add another 290 later I could add another rad. Does that seem reasonable? I think a 480 will be sufficent for a singel gpu and cpu, or am I wrong?

Thanks for sharing you knowledge guys I very much appreciate it

Stick a 480mm on the bottom as cowboy said for your loop. If you add another GPU I'd add another one up top for the hell of it for ultra silence and lots of headroom with NB 120mm fans.

Make sure all your fittings and tubing are matched.

What liquid and biocide are you looking to use?

I would add more rad than that pic shows. I have that same case and a 290 but on an amd phenom 2 and I feel like I could use one more fan spot after the setup in my signature. I would go with a 4x120 on top and a 2x120 in the front.

Also, your pump has its own little mount in the back by the psu so it shouldn't have to sit in the front like that. Mounting it back there can be tight after psu wires but it makes for a very clean look.

Stick a 480mm on the bottom as cowboy said for your loop. If you add another GPU I'd add another one up top for the hell of it for ultra silence and lots of headroom with NB 120mm fans.

Make sure all your fittings and tubing are matched.

What liquid and biocide are you looking to use?

I have now added the fans you recommended and a 480 rad, thanks:)

Regarding liquid im unsure, I was planning to use destilled water with PT nuke, But I cant seem to find PT on any online shop here in Norway. They do however have and recommend AquaComputer Double Protect Ultra. So im currently looking into that while trying to find a alternate biocide.

Last edited:
I would add more rad than that pic shows. I have that same case and a 290 but on an amd phenom 2 and I feel like I could use one more fan spot after the setup in my signature. I would go with a 4x120 on top and a 2x120 in the front.

Also, your pump has its own little mount in the back by the psu so it shouldn't have to sit in the front like that. Mounting it back there can be tight after psu wires but it makes for a very clean look.

What temps are you getting with that setup? Mounting the pump in the back seems like a good idea, im going to revisit my schetch. Thank you. :)

My CPU sits at 39* and gpu at 49* under load. Noise gets a little loud under load and exhaust air is very warm, that is why I would add another 120 fan if I could.

Can you post chemical content on that AC double protect?

I cant seem to find any site wich has information on the chemical content on the AC double protect. I havent had much time to look though, been working from 8am to 9pm today so Ive been lying passed out on the couch since I came home. Hoping to get some more time to reaserch more about addetives and coolants this weekend.

I have some questions regarding silver killcoils and CuSO4. Because the norwegian site im looking at sells both products only as a method to discourage people from using them. I want to transelate their entire reasoning and put it on here to get your opinions on the matter, but that will have to wait until tomorrow or maybe sometime this weekend.

I am also looking into buying from international sites, since they have so many more options to choose from. Im looking at Performance-PCs.com at the moment. Actually comes up 160 bucks cheaper including shipping, does that price include freedom or do I have to give them oli for that? :clap::clap::clap:

(See past my jokes on the USA and remember that I love you)

Im hoping I can be a lot more active on here as soon as the week is over. Thanks again for all your help, I do require some more assistance before im ready to buy. But I feel we are getting closer. :)

Here is what my shopping cart looks like for now. Coolant will be added as soon as I get a little more insight on the matter, and with that I think ill be ready to buy, so inputs on these components would be highly appriciated. ^^

Attachments

• freedom at amazing prices.png
    freedom at amazing prices.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 100
My CPU sits at 39* and gpu at 49* under load. Noise gets a little loud under load and exhaust air is very warm, that is why I would add another 120 fan if I could.

I think ill try with only one 480 rad first, if im unhappy with that I might just throw in another 480 in the top at a later time. Im not sure though, maybe just throwing in a 120 in the back is the better option? Thank you for the info, anything that helps me make a informed decision is very much appriciated. :)

I think ill try with only one 480 rad first, if im unhappy with that I might just throw in another 480 in the top at a later time. Im not sure though, maybe just throwing in a 120 in the back is the better option? Thank you for the info, anything that helps me make a informed decision is very much appriciated. :)
Two 480s would be overkill imo but I would think you need at least another 2x120 along with the 480 you have there. With your pic you have one less 120 spot than my current which runs hotter than I would like it to. Of course that depends on noise too though. I like mine as quiet as possible. Also, you do realize that shows all 3/8" stuff right? Why not use 1/2"? Performance PCS will treat you right regardless. They are good people.

I second the post above. Only use killcoil and distilled water. I personally add ptnuke as well.

Stick the 480mm on top and 240 monsta on the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back