• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some moderately-priced earbuds for a couple of teens.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tRidiot

Premium Member
Not getting Beats, not buying Apple buds or anything stupid expensive.

Say $30-50 per set, max. Just for listening to music, if it has a built-in mic, sure that's a bonus.

I looked at the Samsung ones, they were $80 and I shook my head at that - then saw with the charger they were $150. WTF??? Who sells a wireless battery-powered device without the means to charge it???

Some silliness in the world today...

Anyways, open to ideas, I see a ton of 'em out there, but are any of 'em any good? I dunno...

Check out the Status BT transfer set. I have a pair after Hokie recommended them and they are really solid for the price.

I've got a set of Sony Wi-xb400 that I feel are pretty decent. Picked up on sale for $20 but have seen them from $30-40. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but these have good sound/volume and USB-C charging. Getting around 12 hours on the battery and good range as well (when I don't have the phone in my pocket).

I've got a set of JBLs... but, they aren't cheap. You get what you pay for... if you're normally within 3 feet of your phone, best quality per price will always be corded.

Check out the Status BT transfer set. I have a pair after Hokie recommended them and they are really solid for the price.
I second this!!! Tried them out per Hokie's recommendation and bought two (I lost one.. lol).

Some good options here, thanks, guys. I will look at them tonight!

What are you listening to and anything special you looking for?

If you're ok with wired -

I've found the Sennheiser CX line to be a decent go-to, price vs. sound quality. Currently using a set of the Monoprice triple driver earbuds I got a while back, they're kinda bright even after getting some Comply tips to get a better seal.

I did use a set of MP M300s for a while, they were popping up for ~$55 every now and then. Sound quality wise they're by far the best <$100 IEMs I've used, but I'm kinda biased and just really like planars. They even have interchangeable cables, so with a little luck you can probably find one with a mic. Housings are kind of cheap though and did end up breaking on me after maybe 9 months.

Really don't want to do wired. If it were for me, I probably would. The wife says she'd prefer just buds for these two. You know kids... they want the latest, greatest, most popular, usually not best quality.

<insert eyeroll here>

So that rules out a number of these. I was thinking of the Sony WF-xb700s, but the best deal I can get is $60 for refurbs and they're a week out. I think I need to find some sooner than that - they've gotta be shipped and received before Christmas - internationally. <sigh>

So, still open to options, but I need to buy something tonight or this weekend at the latests.

I saw there are wireless buds from JBL on amazon for $55. And $50 from Skullcandy. Only saying because I know those are both known brands.

Really, anything with decent reviews & battery life should be fine for highschool kids. That said, I've been heavily into hi-fi since I was 14.

I have a $5 pair of Onn BT headphones from Walmart. Long battery life and have lasted about 2 years now. Not for audiophiles or showing off.

I would definitely suggest getting a pair of BT buds that are wired together, less likely for one to go missing.

I would definitely suggest getting a pair of BT buds that are wired together, less likely for one to go missing.

I agree with you 100%. But I brought this up to The Wife - she wants to go the non-wired buds route. Oh well. My money - her family. You know how THAT goes. lol

I ended up ordering some refurb JVC model. We'll see how good they are.

Back