• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

****Need to get this confirmed****

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

POL-tec2002

ok well my friend and i sat down and went to newegg and picked out some parts here they are.

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.2E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail $239

OCZ Gold Edition Rev2 Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-4000 - Retail $ 299

2x Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD360GD

Sparkle Power 550W Power Supply, MODEL "FSP550-60PLG" -OEM $99

eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800GT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "256-A8-N344-AX" -RETAIL $ 399

floppy drive $9

Ok here are some questions. Do i need to buy and power converters for the sata hdds? Also what about the cooling this comp isnt going to be overclocked so stock should be ok right? Also What is the difference between IC7-MAX3 and max II?

nope the raptors can take either a normal molex or a sata power connector.
And if heat isn't an issue then stock cooling is fine.

first of your question was answered, as for cooling, if your going to use a pressy make sure you at least have adaquate case ventilation as not only the chip runs hot, but your motherboard components (power regulators, etc) will run hot too. As for the difference between the Max2 and 3, I believe that the Max 2 has the i875 chipset and the 3 has the i875p chipset. Not sure what the difference between the two is. Also the Max3 has active cooling over the power regulators (MOSFETs).

well what type of cooling would you reccoment for the cpu. the case comes with one fan in front and one in back. Also is there any guides on how to install the raid 0? also what is the difference between max 3 and max 2? also will the machine run doom III at full setting smooth

No, Western Digital is cool and takes normal molex power cables as well as SATA.
As for cooling, prescotts run very hot but yes, stock has to be ok (otherwise they wouldn't be selling it). Using a different heatsink voids your warranty but using different thermal paste doesn't, so spend a few bucks on some artic silver.
But a few things about your computer. As you are not overclocking, whats with the PC4000? As your procs FSB is only 200Mhz you won't see any difference then PC3200, plus you can get lower latencies.
Also, are you sure about the prescott? If this is an exclusivly multimedia computer or you think you will get some massive advantage when SSE3 starts getting used, then go for it. But if not, prescotts seem to benchmark at about 200Mhz slower than their northwood equivelants and are slightly more expensive.
Thats all, hope it helped.

Back