• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to upgrade Dell 700m HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ARCJr

I searched Dell's website, but could not find any info as to what HD it came with, or what HD it can be replaced with. I got it in the spring of 05, with a 40GB (!) drive. I'm planning on reinstalling the OS soon, and figured now would be a good time to get a larger (and hopefully quieter) hard drive. If anyone knows which hard drive, or where to find out which one, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Right-click My Computer, then click Manage, click Device Manager and expand the Disk Drives icon and you should see your drives name and model number. This won't tell you if it's IDE or SATA. For that, just check under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and see if it's under an IDE(PATA) controller or SATA. Most likely it's a 7200rpm IDE drive. You could also go into the system BIOS at bootup and find what kind of controller and drive it is.

Back