• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New $2500 Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thegornking

Hello All and thanks for reading.

I have found this link for a $2500 build that was posted on September 26, 2016. I want to build a very similar computer, but am wondering if you guys would make any changes to this build. Mostly, this computer will be for gaming and standard use. I will also have multiple monitors set up, potentially 4 at some point, so I am keeping this in mind in terms of what video card I will get. I'm sure someone out there is thinking, why is this guy wanting to spend $2500? I really like high quality computers and love to build a computer and have it last more than 6 years. My last computer build cost about $2000 and has last me almost 8 years, so I think it is always worth it to spend more and have a nicer computer at first for the convenience of it lasting longer. here is the link for the build online : http://techbuyersguru.com/2500-extreme-4k-gaming-pc-build

I will also copy / paste it here for convenience.

CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K ($329.00)

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 6 ($170.00)

Video Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW ($460.00)

Video Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW ($460.00)

Memory
Corsair 2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 Black ($184.00)

Solid-State Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB ($306.00)

Hard Drive
Toshiba P300 3TB ($94.00)

Power Supply
EVGA Supernova P2 850W ($130.00)

Optical Drive
LG 24x DVD Burner GH24NSC0B ($18.00)

CPU Cooler
Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Liquid Cooler ($104.00)

Please let me know if there are any changes you guys would make to this build. Thanks a lot in advance guys! Any help is much appreciated.

4 monitors.... are you gaming across them (how?) or just need an image on them for productivity? Also what resolution are these monitors going to be? The point of these questions are to see if you actually need 2 video cards. If you are only playing games on one, then a single GPU will be fine. Of you go one card, or really with 2 1070s... a 650w is plenty so you can save a few dollars there.

Go for a 1080, and drop the PSU to 650 W or 750 W...save yourself about $200.

I personally would invest that into an X99 platform and either a 6800K or 5820K.

Hello - will not be gaming across more than 1 monitor at a time. However, I plan to do trading (lots of browser windows open and trading programs open) across the 4 monitors during the day, so the screens will have many moving parts - not sure what this means for what type of video card(s) I would need. I would like to run each screen at a resolution like 1680 x 1050, or possibly bigger. I have never had more than 2 monitors on one computer, so am really inexperienced with the transition here. Really not sure what type of video card setup would be best for 4 monitors.

For 4 1080p monitors and some solid gaming for a couple/few years, a single 1080 I think is a great choice. Overkill now, but in 3+ years it will still be a very viable card.

Okay cool, thanks. And also, I will be able to buy another 3+ years down the road for an SLI experience that will improve my video performance, correct? In theory, if I buy a mid-tower case , would 2 1080's fit in it down the road? Or would it be much easier to just get a full tower in that case?

Also - one more question. I rarely dust my computer on the inside, and I've noticed that there's always huge dust buildup inside my computer. I know this is bad for it and all, and I'm just not the best at maintaining my electronics (I will try to be better in the future with this computer!) Would liquid cooling, given this information, be a bad idea or a good one? Is there any real huge advantage to having liquid cooling over regular cooling? I have never used liquid cooling and just want to get some good advice regarding what the best choice is for a cooler. Again guys, thanksso much for all the help. Any responses are much appreciated.

If you have dust filters on your intake fans (most new cases come with them, or you can buy them) and positive pressure (more intake airflow than exhaust)...dust buildup is minimized!

I hope I'm not taking this thread off topic, but I'm VERY curious what your old PC specs were since you said it lasted for 8 years.

Thanks!

Okay cool, thanks. And also, I will be able to buy another 3+ years down the road for an SLI experience that will improve my video performance, correct? In theory, if I buy a mid-tower case , would 2 1080's fit in it down the road? Or would it be much easier to just get a full tower in that case?

Also - one more question. I rarely dust my computer on the inside, and I've noticed that there's always huge dust buildup inside my computer. I know this is bad for it and all, and I'm just not the best at maintaining my electronics (I will try to be better in the future with this computer!) Would liquid cooling, given this information, be a bad idea or a good one? Is there any real huge advantage to having liquid cooling over regular cooling? I have never used liquid cooling and just want to get some good advice regarding what the best choice is for a cooler. Again guys, thanks so much for all the help. Any responses are much appreciated.

You can certainly add a second card at any time, however it has been my experience after a two or three year period it would be prudent to simply upgrade to a current card. I am one of the few advocates for SLI as I have not had a serious gaming rig effort that was not SLI since the 8K series.
That being said it is a good solution if you are going to push the envelope with multiple high resolution displays and you like playing max eye candy with out compromise. Please note, not all games will benefit from a multi card set ups , however most AAA titles will

Agree, filtering and positive pressure will aid in a dust free system, but it certainly does not hurt to open it up and blow the dust out from time to time to protect your investment.

Liquid cooling IMO is more a hobby. it can be great fun and can be made to look and preform excellent.
I would not recomend for anyone who is challenged by simply keeping the inside of a case dust free

Thanks for the reply Witchdoctor! Sorry for not responding sooner. I appreciate the advice.

As for the build that lasted 8 years, I will list out the specs that I was able to find on an old email thread. Apparently, the computer was 7 years old, so sorry for that mistake. Here are the specs:

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 ATX INtel Mobo
EVGA GTX 275 x 2
750TX Corsair PSU
I7 920 Intel 2.66ghz Quad Core Processor ; Noctua NH-U12P 120mm CPU cooler
X25-M SSd Intel (80gb?)
1tb WD HDD
OCZ Gold 6gb (3x2gb) , eventually upgraded a fwe years later to 12gb (not sure what type of ram I put in with it)

Hope this helps with your curiosity! :) Thanks again guys

- - - Updated - - -

Also - if I am going to go for a regular cooler and not a liquid cooler, since we've already established someone who can't keep a case dust-free probably shouldn't mess with liquid cooling, which regular cooler should I go with? What would be most compatible with I7-6700K; if I plan to use this computer for at least 4 years (and maybe even 7! :) )

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if I am to choose 1080 over 2x 1070, which 1080 should I go with? I know they are all very similar in price and performance, etc, but not sure which one to pick and which brand would have easiest RMA if the card was a dud. Thanks

I have replaced the current ram with dd4 - 3200 Gskill ripjaws V series. Is that a good replacement choice? It is only $15 cheaper, so I am wondering if I am sacrificing any performance by buying g skill over corsair... thanks

My recommendation :

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ssnBvV

Rationale:

CPU - 6800k will provide you 4 extra threads for multi-tasking. Would be superior to the 6700k in most regards. More... "future proof" than the 6700k
Motherboard - This is a very high quality, durable, and stable selection. Has tons of I/O
Cooler - The nh-d15 will provide nearly the same levels of cooling as the more high end AIO water coolers will. Easier to take care of, and theoretically, will last longer as well. No pumps to go out, no radiators to clog up, no hoses to get brittle and break down over time... etc. Its just a more reliable solution over time than the AIO coolers. You are NOT sacrificing quality or cooling capacity here. Its also cheaper...
Ram - ram speed is largely erroneous for your applications. Seriously diminishing gains over time. Picked 4x8 instead of 2x16 for quad channel memory that x99 supports. This is a cost effective, and quality selection
SSD - this is one where Im gonna get crap from others about. Even just a couple years ago, getting a budget SSD wasn't really the best of options. Crap performance, crap reliability, slower than advertised speeds... just poor purchases all around. Nowadays, however, SSD performance on the "entry-to-mid level" options have increased DRAMATICALLY, and the OCZ trion 150 is a really quality drive. For less than you'd spend on the 850 EVO 500gb version, you can get the 960gb OCZ model. No it doesnt perform as well, but again; we're discussing diminishing returns here. In real world examples, you will be VERY hard pressed to notice a difference between the 850 evo and the ocz trion 150.
HDD - Large size, quality, cost effective. Chose 3tb to match your original selection
GPU - getting a 1080 makes more sense here. Its an extremely powerful card, and with your needs, should last you many many many years. You have 5 outputs on the card, so 4 x 1080p should be no issue what so ever. That said, you will only support 4x1080p at 60 hz. You can go no higher on resolution or refresh rate. Dropping down to 3 will allow you to get 144hz going @ 1080p (if that matters to you). If you find yourself wanting higher resolutions, then you will need a 2nd card; thus the 2x 1070 may be more prudent if thats your goals. The monitor choices really dictate how you go with this.
Case - a subjective choice here, its just an awesome case :p. You can go with a fractal r5 for 80-90$ and get the same level of performance.
PSU - even with sli 1080's, you dont need 850w psu. 750w gives you PLENTY of breathing room for 2x 1080's, overclocking the 6800k, all your peripherals, etc. Its fully modular and very high quality.

That said, this is mostly based on your claimed usages, and how often you're upgrading platforms. Tit for tat, this build is both more cheap and more powerful (for your productivity applications. The 6700k + 2x1070 will be superior in gaming, but nothing perceptible at 1080p gaming. If you we're discussing 4k gaming, this would be a different conversation).

at 1900$ + case vs 2250$ + case... thats the direction I would choose.

bob4933, thanks so much for this response. This helps a ton. Never had anyone make a custom part list for me - it feels good! I have used most of our recommendations so far. Really appreciate the level of detail you went into, thanks again. One more question that I can think of - if I want to minimize dust intake, what would be the best after-market fan to buy to make sure that dust buildup is minimized? Also, I prefer the fans to be quiet so the comp isn't too loud. thanks!

Buying a case (or adding your own - say pantyhose?) with a filter on the typical intake areas (front/sides) will help...the type of fan, does not.

Check out our front page for some fan reviews from ehume. Great reviews and the guy is super knowledgeable on that subject. I dont know those very well myself, sorry.

Fractal has awesome cases with filters.

Don't sweat the "custom parts list" creation haha. Took me literally 2 minutes and its something everyone does here :)

Corsair Air 540 or 740 are great cases.

I just bought a 740 and it dropped all of the system temps (CPU, GPU, RAM, MB) by 10 C over my last case.

I can vouch for the Fractal Define R5, easily the best case I ever had/worked with. All the space you need both for components and air flow.

My recommendation :

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ssnBvV

Rationale:

CPU - 6800k will provide you 4 extra threads for multi-tasking. Would be superior to the 6700k in most regards. More... "future proof" than the 6700k
Motherboard - This is a very high quality, durable, and stable selection. Has tons of I/O
Cooler - The nh-d15 will provide nearly the same levels of cooling as the more high end AIO water coolers will. Easier to take care of, and theoretically, will last longer as well. No pumps to go out, no radiators to clog up, no hoses to get brittle and break down over time... etc. Its just a more reliable solution over time than the AIO coolers. You are NOT sacrificing quality or cooling capacity here. Its also cheaper...
Ram - ram speed is largely erroneous for your applications. Seriously diminishing gains over time. Picked 4x8 instead of 2x16 for quad channel memory that x99 supports. This is a cost effective, and quality selection
SSD - this is one where Im gonna get crap from others about. Even just a couple years ago, getting a budget SSD wasn't really the best of options. Crap performance, crap reliability, slower than advertised speeds... just poor purchases all around. Nowadays, however, SSD performance on the "entry-to-mid level" options have increased DRAMATICALLY, and the OCZ trion 150 is a really quality drive. For less than you'd spend on the 850 EVO 500gb version, you can get the 960gb OCZ model. No it doesnt perform as well, but again; we're discussing diminishing returns here. In real world examples, you will be VERY hard pressed to notice a difference between the 850 evo and the ocz trion 150.
HDD - Large size, quality, cost effective. Chose 3tb to match your original selection
GPU - getting a 1080 makes more sense here. Its an extremely powerful card, and with your needs, should last you many many many years. You have 5 outputs on the card, so 4 x 1080p should be no issue what so ever. That said, you will only support 4x1080p at 60 hz. You can go no higher on resolution or refresh rate. Dropping down to 3 will allow you to get 144hz going @ 1080p (if that matters to you). If you find yourself wanting higher resolutions, then you will need a 2nd card; thus the 2x 1070 may be more prudent if thats your goals. The monitor choices really dictate how you go with this.
Case - a subjective choice here, its just an awesome case :p. You can go with a fractal r5 for 80-90$ and get the same level of performance.
PSU - even with sli 1080's, you dont need 850w psu. 750w gives you PLENTY of breathing room for 2x 1080's, overclocking the 6800k, all your peripherals, etc. Its fully modular and very high quality.

That said, this is mostly based on your claimed usages, and how often you're upgrading platforms. Tit for tat, this build is both more cheap and more powerful (for your productivity applications. The 6700k + 2x1070 will be superior in gaming, but nothing perceptible at 1080p gaming. If you we're discussing 4k gaming, this would be a different conversation).

at 1900$ + case vs 2250$ + case... thats the direction I would choose.

Will the Bios on the X99 Extreme6/ac be updated for the 6800k?

You can find that information out by looking at the board's webpage...

Yes, it supports it with BIOS 2.97 and newer: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99 Extreme6ac/?cat=CPU

Worst case is you have to flash with the broadwell chip in there. Typically it will work, but functions are limited until you update the BIOS. The REAL question is where do you get the L2.97 bios as it isn't listed on their page?!!!

Back