• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AMD A8-5600K running really hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E_tron

I just put together my first desktop PC in a decade (replacing the Athlon XP 2500+), however I'm appalled at its thermal characteristics of my new build:

GA-F2A85X-UP4 Motherboard with an AMD A8-5600K Trinity APU: 55°C at the BIOS screen on first boot. Vcore is 1.400V. Stock APU cooler; all aluminum design.

WHOA! :eek: That's HOT; right? Then there are reviews of it's bigger cousin, the A10 with temperatures approaching 80°C http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2047/18/

I mean, I never let my Athlon XP get beyond 50°C. It has an old school Zalman 7000-ALCU cooler.

What temperatures are safe for this A8 APU?

Thank you for your input.

Is the heatsink mounted right and fan spinning? This is kinda embarrassing, but when I first put my old Q9550 PC together, I accidently left the little plastic sticker on the heatsink. It managed to overheat and shutdown while still in the BIOS screen, so things do happen :D

I'm using the default thermal sticker that came on the boxed heat sink. It appears to be thermal paste. Maybe I should remove it and go with my Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste instead?

Thank you for linking that thread. The UEFI BIOS is reporting these 55°C to 60°C temps. The good news it that the A8 hasn't melted yet; I need to boot an OS and start stress testing this APU. I'll note that this A8-5600K has a fab date of 1216 (2012 week 16). That seems kind of early; did AMD sit on these APUs for several months before releasing them? Would an early stepping have anything to do with this thermal problem?

On a side note, I'm wondering if the ol' Athlon XP machine (2003 week 31) will outlast this latest A8 build ;) (granted I replaced the Capacitors on the Athlon's NF7-S Motherboard a few years ago). It has a SATA I controller chip (since nForce 2 didn't have native SATA) and 3GB of RAM; that's all you need :D .

anyway if you boot it up and temperature reaches up to about mid 80C it will automatically shut down so no need to worry, with all of them new technologies lol, not like in old days when you forgot to connect fan for the heatsink your cpu burned lol

oh by the way use EasyTune6 (from Gigabyte website) it shows relevantly accurate temperatures, not like HWMonitor which went the whole way up to 85C under full load in prime95 and didn't show any errors or warnings

Back