• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build 2017

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gohanhd

okay these are the parts I am think of getting. (I would love to hear your thoughts about the parts)

1.GPU I am reusing my GTX 980 TI)
2. Motherboard MSI Z170A SLI LGA 1151 Intel Z170 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
3. CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 6M (Note: This will be mostly for games..)
4. Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
5. Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 220-G2-0850-XR 80+ GOLD 850W (going change to an 750 wat PSU)
6. HD/SDD Im thinking of getting an SSD for the OS (and 2TB HD for games and other softwar) Is that hard to set up?
7. CPU cooler Corsair Hydro Series H115i

Last edited:
1) still a killer card
2) k
3) your budget determines this. An i5 6600k will play games admirably
4) k
5) dont need 850. 650w is still too much. 250w gpu right?
6) if you dont know what you're doing, a first time SSD setup can be tricky, but not "hard".
7) k

1) still a killer card
2) k
3) your budget determines this. An i5 6600k will play games admirably
4) k
5) dont need 850. 650w is still too much. 250w gpu right?
6) if you dont know what you're doing, a first time SSD setup can be tricky, but not "hard".
7) k

I should of put a reason why an 850 or 1000w Power supply (I was thinking maybe going sli in the future)

I should of put a reason why an 850 or 1000w Power supply (I was thinking maybe going sli in the future)

ok. 250 + 250 + 90 =/= 850 or 1000w.

750 gives you plenty of room for 2 980 ti's and a skylake cpu with overclocking.

Yeah, you can go with a smaller PSU like bob says for sure.

I would stick with the i5 if what you're doing is gaming. Don't need that much CPU horsepower for most games these days.

Setting up two drives isn't bad. I would however suggest you maybe look into larger SSDs, and just use the one drive. Nowadays SSD prices are so low, you don't really need a big slow HDD anymore. You could get a 1TB SSD for under $300, and you would only have to deal with one drive. You could use some of the money you're saving on the CPU to get it :)

Thanks everyone for the help.

Yeah, you can go with a smaller PSU like bob says for sure.

I would stick with the i5 if what you're doing is gaming. Don't need that much CPU horsepower for most games these days.

Setting up two drives isn't bad. I would however suggest you maybe look into larger SSDs, and just use the one drive. Nowadays SSD prices are so low, you don't really need a big slow HDD anymore. You could get a 1TB SSD for under $300, and you would only have to deal with one drive. You could use some of the money you're saving on the CPU to get it :)

hmm...I will look in to that. (on the 1TB SSD) Also changed the i7 to an i5 one.

ok. 250 + 250 + 90 =/= 850 or 1000w.

750 gives you plenty of room for 2 980 ti's and a skylake cpu with overclocking.
ummm...ooh >.> Lol thanks....changed it to an 750 one.

okay these are the parts I am think of getting. (I would love to hear your thoughts about the parts)

1.GPU I am reusing my GTX 980 TI)
2. Motherboard MSI Z170A SLI LGA 1151 Intel Z170 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
3. CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 6M (Note: This will be mostly for games..)
4. Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
5. Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 220-G2-0850-XR 80+ GOLD 850W (going change to an 750 wat PSU)
6. HD/SDD Im thinking of getting an SSD for the OS (and 2TB HD for games and other softwar) Is that hard to set up?
7. CPU cooler Corsair Hydro Series H115i

I'm not as skilled as many here when it comes to the deeper workings of parts.
You can see my new 2016/10 build in my signature and I will at some point overclock the CPU, so from the data I got, a 650W PSU will do many times.

I run one SSD for everything atm, but did get an external Seagate HDD 1T for backup and extra storage.

The i5-6600K is a solid choice, as others have already said.

When it comes to Memory, I was linked this, very interesting to watch.

I'm not as skilled as many here when it comes to the deeper workings of parts.
You can see my new 2016/10 build in my signature and I will at some point overclock the CPU, so from the data I got, a 650W PSU will do many times.

I run one SSD for everything atm, but did get an external Seagate HDD 1T for backup and extra storage.

The i5-6600K is a solid choice, as others have already said.

When it comes to Memory, I was linked this, very interesting to watch.

interesting...might change it to an DDR4 2400 ones.

For 2017 you will have Intel Kaby Lake in January and later AMD Zen. Why plan for Skylake?

interesting...might change it to an DDR4 2400 ones.

Man, that dude talks fast! Very hard for me to understand him between that and his aussie accent.

The information in that video is a little dated in some ways. He recommends looking at getting a non-k 6600 or 6700 because they are now can be overclocked on some motherboards. Technically, that is true. ASRock has put out two socket 11551 motherboards that will do that because they have a clock gen chip which enables the increase of the basic clock frequency on Intel CPUs. They refer to these boards as their "hyper" series. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-hyper-oc-motherboards-available,32165.html

Neither have sold very well. The H170 is hard to find at all and the B150 does not get good reviews from the few people who bought one on NewEgg. Apparently, its not very reliable. Also, both boards are rated for a maximum memory frequency of only DDR 2133. Another thing I noted is that for one of the boards (I didn't check the other one) ASRock has issued a bios update that disables the clockgen overclock feature. Either it wasn't reliable or Intel pressured them to put the nix on it. So I wouldn't go there.

Also, the video spoke of high prices due to lack of availability of the 6600k and 6700k chips. The prices have come down now so apparently Intel has worked out their production issues.

Personally i enjoy putting games on a SSD aswell, lesser loading time, simply a improved game experience and games is not overly space hungry, 512 GB + may do the trick for a average gamer demand, personally i use around 800 GB, more than sufficient for countless years. Ultimately the Price will decide on what someone is able to get.

In my mind, the hardest to set up in this package is the cooler, sometimes the Mounts (some may Need Attachement on the back of the board) can be tricky for inexperienced builders. ;)

Apart from that, i do agree, a 980 TI is still a very powerful and capable Card, no reason upgrading it in term you already got.

Man, that dude talks fast! Very hard for me to understand him between that and his aussie accent.
Even more difficult for me to understand, as i am not native EN Speaker, so i do value a clean and clear voice. But he got really good view and interesting stuff to say, he just should slow down a Little and not trying to blast all his words in way to Little time, just relax and then even non native Speakers may have a easy time Hearing it out.

Regarding RAM Speed: 2400 MHz is fine but 3200 MHz is perfect... the difference is usually Close to Zero but there is a few games that may have some increased FPS and the Price difference is way to low on a powerful gaming build. For me, it´s clear, 3200 is perfect in term someone is not having to cut down on cost to much but a 2400 DIMM is pretty much "the sweet spot". Of Course there is some RAM that go higher than 3200 but in my mind this is just interesting for benchers but for gamers there is not any reason for using it.

Actually, i find any type of RAM cheap nowadays, it was so much more pricy Long time ago. However, the Microsofty OS is still as pricy as always and may stop working all of a sudden... sometimes forever, THIS is pricy.

Last edited:
Back