• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build - First complete build in a few years

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaronjb

I've been saving up for some time to get a new build underway. I was going to go piecemeal and replace my old system (based on a Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHZ with 2 x 4GB GTX 760s) part-by-part over time, but I opted to go all in (including case). Aside from storage, the only holdover is the PSU.

• Here are the specs:
  • 4770k (@4.4Ghz)
  • Asus Maximus VI Hero
  • Samsung EVO 840 500GB
  • 16GB G.Skill 1600Mhz (2x8GB)
  • 2 x GTX 780 Ti
  • Corsair H100i
  • Corsair GS800 PSU
  • Corsair 750D Case
  • Storage: 3 older SSDs (2 x Intel 120GB, 1 Kingston 240GB), older WD Raptors (various flavors), some external drives (10 drives in total)
  • Display: X-Star DP2710 (2560x1440 @ 96Hz)

The jump from the old system to new was significant (though the i7 920 (D0!) had longevity). 3DMark Fire Strike comparison here.

I spent a couple of late weekend nights building this (which is tougher to do now than before I had kids in the house). I'm pleased with the end result, though I may come back and clean up some of the cables. The 750D case is great for managing that mess, since there's ample space to tidy up the cables behind the MB tray.

Right now, I dual boot Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. Windows 8.1 was a clean install on this build; I removed MB-specific drivers from my existing Windows 7 install and then booted that up on the new build and put new drivers on.

I'm just getting used to some of the software, particularly ASUS AI Suite. I may test out the RAM Disk this weekend.

At the last minute, I went SLI, and I'm pleased with the result. I can crank up crazy levels of AA and apply plenty of effects (ENBSeries in Skyrim, for instance) and still match the 96Hz of the display.

Any questions, feel free to ask. Feels good to be back in the game, so to speak, even if a custom WC loop isn't involved!

uldLOqal.png.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, all. I kept the PSU because I've had a good experience with it so far. What's a good example of a high-end power supply these days.

The bug's back, though. I'm already looking at building a water cooling loop for CPU and the GPUs.

SeaSonic 850 80+ gold is 15% off at newegg :)

$ 169.99 - $ 25.49 = $ 144.50

Not bad for a top tier power supply

100% modular if that is important to you

However, if you are really going to pound on it you may want a few more watts

Back