• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build for rendering and animations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RisingPhoenix

Registered
Hey all.

I'm looking to build a comp for rendering and animating in 3ds Max. I was hoping to stay below $2000, but that's not a hard set number. I just want a good comp capable of tackling renders and moderate gaming. Been 8 years since I built a comp, so forgive me if I made an improper selection.

Just FYI, I wouldn't mind doing SLI in the future. I would like feedback as to what could be better/what would be a better deal. Or if I should change components/tracks entirely considering my rendering and animating objective.

Also, I live within driving distance of Frys and Microcenters.

What say you?

CPU: i7 4930k @ 3.4GHz - $580
MB: ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 - $320
RAM: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) - $175

-$50 for the three items above as combo.

GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB - $535
HDD: TOSHIBA 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache - $140
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB - $175
PSU: Rosewill CAPSTONE-750 750W - $100
Case:Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX Mid Tower Case - $50

Build.png

I do not know 3ds max rendering preferences, I would look up its capability with GPGPU and see what you need to go with there. when you buy the latest GPU you get a unnecasary performance bump but what you really pay for is features. Otherwise, new cards would not cost 500+ dollars for a 10-20% performance increase

Another consideration is that top of the line hardware usually is not supported by software, especially enterprise level stuff.

CPU is different since there is not as big an advance in features usually as with GPU, so the CPU you chose will work better than anything else even on 10 year old code.

I am not familiar with the particulars of the software NOW, but IIRC it did prefer nVidia back in the 200 series. Historically ATI/AMD gpus are capable of more FLOPS if the software utilizes their features though, which is why Pixar went with them, at the time. They used (guessing memory here) lightweaver rendering software, which at the time performed better on ATI/AMD hardware.

So, what I would do is type in the software version (if you can't update for free) rendering reviews and use search tools to search by date. that way you can decide if two 760s are better than a 780. (probably) or if AMD works better with the revision you have (unlikely).

I think most likely even with a couple 780s if you are GPGPU crunching, clock speed and memory will be more important that core and mem bandwidth,

hexa core hyper threading is great, but only needed if you are supplying multiple gpus with GPGPU duties while retaining enough power to do its own thing, except in special circumstances. So I would check that.

EDIT: simple explanation, check it for yourself, but I expect that running a few GPUs will be more important than a 4GHz hexacore dodecathreaded cpu and single gpu will give you despite costing the same or more likely more..

EDIT EDIT: If you do go with that sstem, double the mem. (not density but quantity. 4 sticks for optimal peroformance. It does not matter for gamers or for most taskes, but the few things that are multithreaded memory complaint.... it doubles the speed. 50+ GB/s

Last edited:
I will have to look into the GPU a little bit more... As you mentioned, CPU isn't a huge deal.

That said, I'm still a little bit torn between the 4770k and the 4930k. The 4930k would be better performance-wise, but from what I've heard, it's more of a dead-end, whereas going with the 4770k would allow for future upgrading, which I'm okay with.

Any recommendations pertaining to that?

I really liked my LGA2011 setup but it was a massive beast. 32GB of 2133MHz ram and at one point 3x 580 GTXs

you always pay extra for the absolute best, and the absolute best is not generally supported software wise.

Which version are you using is important, as it may not support the latest hardware features.

did some lookups for Adobe software so let me look into Autodesk software....

workstation graphics review

this link shows performance in 2011 version. overall nvidia is your better choice.

Only links I can find for CPU performance are from sellers.

http://config.boxxtech.com/solutions/3dsmax_solution.asp

It says that MOAR cores is better. that makes sense and means the latest 6 core should beat even the next gen 4 core Intel has up their sleeve. And historically, that is true. In ONLY this specific environment.

so my initial presumption was incorrect. More CPU now and update GPU later if money is an issue is probably better than vica versa.

If cost is a consideration than a 1150 setup (or heck even a first gen 1155 with a healthy 5.0+ GHz OC) would be quite robust. And even challenge the hexacore setup.

The 2011 set offers better bandwidth for GPUs so if multi GPU is something you desire for better VrayRT usage, than 2011 is definitely something to look at.

It will require more research than I am capable of since I am not familiar with studio max product. I do not know which settings you will use most and more generically which specific benchmarks you are most likely to be using.

Sorry this was not more helpful

If your software will use all the threads of the CPU, stick to the 4930k.

Definitely see what GPU code your software runs (CUDA, OpenCL, etc.), as that will influence what GPU is best for you.

Back