• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Keeps Restarting Over and Over Again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LostGirlNik

I just bought new parts to build a new computer, got them all fixed and when I plug in the power supply, the PC starts up for like a few seconds and then, the PC turns off by itself for a bit and then reboots again. It keeps doing this until I unplug it from the wall. There were no beeps or lights (case doesn't come with LED) and nothing comes on the monitor as it starts and goes off in such a short span of time. I can't tell what is the problem. I've tried reconnecting everything and it didn't help. Could it be that the PSU do not have enough power? It should have, though. Please help me, any help would be greatly appreciated! :(

Build specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboards GA-H97M-HD3
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5GHz LGA 1150
PSU: SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI
Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX970 4GB
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5inch SATA III
Internal DVD Drive: Samsung SATA 1.5Gb-s Optical Drive

Thank you so much! :)

PSU has plenty of power and it's a quality unit so it shouldn't be bad.

Is there a button/jumpers on the board of reset CMOS? If so, do it.

Tried with one stick of memory (try both - look at your manual for the right slot)?

What about building outsidea of the case in case of a short?

Do you have both the 24 pin and the 8 pin leads from the PSU connected to the motherboard?

As ED said, it's a good idea to build the system on a tabletop to circumvent the possibility of a ground out against the case. We are not sure of what you experience level is as a system builder but a common mistake for beginners is to misplace a motherboard standoff or have one too many so that the board is grounding out against the chassis. When you get the board out take a close look at the position of the standoffs relative to the motherboard mount holes.

Also, make sure your video card and your RAM sticks are firmly seated in their slots. And try taking everything out that is not absolutely needed: take out video card and all but one memory stick, etc. Try each memory stick in each slot one at a time

If all else fails, I would remove the CPU and inspect the socket pins. Believe me, it's very easy to bend those tiny little socket pins by dropping the CPU onto them or by sliding the CPU around when installing it. And sometimes pins are bent right out of the box.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, does the rig post at all? Can you get into the BIOS screen? Doesn't sound like it from your description... you could take a quick video of happens when you attempt to boot it, might be easier to understand too

Do you have both the 24 pin and the 8 pin leads from the PSU connected to the motherboard?

As ED said, it's a good idea to build the system on a tabletop to circumvent the possibility of a ground out against the case. We are not sure of what you experience level is as a system builder but a common mistake for beginners is to misplace a motherboard standoff or have one too many so that the board is grounding out against the chassis. When you get the board out take a close look at the position of the standoffs relative to the motherboard mount holes.

Also, make sure your video card and your RAM sticks are firmly seated in their slots. And try taking everything out that is not absolutely needed: take out video card and all but one memory stick, etc. Try each memory stick in each slot one at a time

If all else fails, I would remove the CPU and inspect the socket pins. Believe me, it's very easy to bend those tiny little socket pins by dropping the CPU onto them or by sliding the CPU around when installing it. And sometimes pins are bent right out of the box.

Thank you so much for your reply and the rest as well. I've been away for a holiday and just got back, so haven't got time to look at it and work has started as well. I will try all your suggestions when I get the time and respond here. Sorry about that.

To White_Pawn,
It does not go into BIOS screen at all since it restarts before it could even load anything on the monitor. Will Do. Thank you. :)

Also make sure your water cooler pump wires are connected to the CPU fan header on the motherboard. If not, the motherboard thinks there is no cooling and will immediately shutdown the system.

The MB you list isn't compatible with the RAM that you list. The MB is slotted and supports for DDR3; you state you have DDR4. Wanna re-check that for sure.

The MB you list isn't compatible with the RAM that you list. The MB is slotted and supports for DDR3; you state you have DDR4. Wanna re-check that for sure.

It wouldn't slot in if it was DDR4... though I've seen wackier things than people only putting one corner of the RAM in the slot...

Good catch, Robert17! How could the rest of us overlook that? I guess we take for granted people buying components will not make a mistake of that magnitude. Problem solved.

Theocnoob, we had another poster recently who tried to install DDR4 in a DDR3 board. He was able to get the latches on the end notches of the modules somehow but the contact edge was not seated in the slot. He said he worked real hard to get that far and just thought that must be the way it was supposed to work. Incredible, isn't it!

Last edited:
stash-1-244250d58073b0ed1.jpeg

Hey guys,
I didn't know there were more replies here but hey! I found the reason as well. It's a hell of an embarrassing one. HAHAHAHA!!! God, I want to kill myself. It is my first time attempting to build a computer. Thank you so much, guys! :) Appreciated. And feel free to laugh. :)

IF you'll look at OP's first post you will see that he tried to install DDR4 in a DDR3 motherboard.

I caught that, I just didn't realize that DDR4 would actually clip into a DDR3 slot. Figured it was a typo.
While we're talking about poor H/W choices, I notice the OP is running an unlocked i5 on an H97 board. Overclocking will not be possible. You really want to get the Z97 boards for the 4690K. Kind of a waste of potential.
JM2C

Glad your PC is working now OP, enjoy it!

Back