• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build - New problems !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exteez

Hello as some of you already know I decided to upgrade my computer. I already got the parts and put them together. I currently have two problems right now. My DVI-D port doesn't work on my brand new graphics card. I checked it with two monitors (doesn't work for both). However the DVI-I port works perfectly on both monitors. My monitors are pretty crap quality, one is an acer monitor 1600x900 @ 60Hz refresh, and the second one is as old as... I don't even know. Can this be the problem in the faulty card? The both monitors are VGA and I use two adapters. One DVI-I and one DVI-D adaptor. (I also have two DVI-D adaptors, neither work).

My second problem is that the bios doesn't detect my RAM speed corrently. My RAM speed is 1866MHz, and that what is says on both the sticks and the both. In bios it only displays it as 1600MHz. However I can overclock it to even 2400Mhz I belivie. So why is that? Should i overclock it manually? But isn't it weird is not automatically it's formal speed?

My specs:

CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1866MHz

Motherboard
ASRock Z97 Extreme6

GPU
GTX 970 (Msi)

I can't tell you about your gpu. but you will need to set your ram up manualy in the bios, just set the speed and timings, this is quite normal, many will only set up 1333 automagicly.

Get a proper DVI or HDMI monitor would be my advice. Also, you need to set your RAM. The easy, lazy, perfectly acceptable way to do that is to set RAM profile XMP1 in bios. Takes 2 seconds. I do not suggest that you try to overclock your RAM.

Get a proper DVI or HDMI monitor would be my advice. Also, you need to set your RAM. The easy, lazy, perfectly acceptable way to do that is to set RAM profile XMP1 in bios. Takes 2 seconds. I do not suggest that you try to overclock your RAM.

I did set it to XMP1 in the bios from auto and it didn't do anything, that is weird!

@all up - Yea but how is the adapter the problem or the vga if I tested two different VGA's and two different adapters, which both VGA's form both monitors work on DVI-I and not DVI-D?

Alright problem with the ram speed solved, not just the monitor!

edit - I have just used another DVI-I adaptor to plug it into my motherboard and try use my second monitor from there, but that doesn't work either. (that was the way i used to have on my old pc, one monitor in external GPU card and one in intergrated card.

Last edited:
Back