• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED New Build. Please tell me if it's good or not. :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brianwbf

Registered
MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT LGA 1155 Intel Z77

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

GPU(s): EVGA SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooling 02G-P4-2774-KR GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 2x

HARD-DRIVE: Western Digital WD Black WD4001FAEX 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB SATA

CD READER: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI

CASE: NZXT PHANTOM 820

A couple things...

Yes, its good... what I would have done different...

1. Haswell, not IB for a new system. You upgraded to a dead end socket.
2. Unless you NEED 16GB, 8GB is plenty for most people, even in to the future
3. SLI 770s? Nice! How many monitors do you have? Or at least running 2560x1440 with one? Otherwise a 780 or a single 770 or a 7970 would have been plenty.
4. PSU is massive overkill. A quality 750W unit would have been PLENTY, even overclocking GPUs and CPU.

Great build, but built on a dead platform and likely could have spent less money and been just as happy and future proof.

I have not spent any money yet :p. Waiting till next month. What do you mean by dead socket? The Motherboard?

Oh, well, assumed you did with the verbiage used in the title/post!

Anyhoo, its a dead socket in that there are no other CPU's coming out for it. It is the end of the road for Z77. Whereas if you decide to purchase Haswell and a Z87 based board, there will be another CPU to upgrade to, if you would like, in a year and a half. Whereas if you want to upgrade from a Z77 based system, you will need a new CPU AND motherboard. So while you will spend a bit more now for Haswell, you will spend more in the long run with buying on a dead socket (unless your next upgrade will be a couple years down the road).

Looks good to me, although I hear that Ivy Bridge can OC higher its negated by Haswell's new innovations. New build, get the newest tech, if someone was planning on upgrading from 3770k to 4770k then it wouldn't make sense, but from nothing to 3770k doesn't make sense either, should go directly to newest.

Everything else looks amazing, 4TB HDDs <3 and 770s are great too, although SLI can have its issues (mostly heat, but with the ACX coolers that should be a lesser problem for you) I would get a single 780 if you're not doing multimonitor.

Oh, well, assumed you did with the verbiage used in the title/post!

Anyhoo, its a dead socket in that there are no other CPU's coming out for it. It is the end of the road for Z77. Whereas if you decide to purchase Haswell and a Z87 based board, there will be another CPU to upgrade to, if you would like, in a year and a half. Whereas if you want to upgrade from a Z77 based system, you will need a new CPU AND motherboard. So while you will spend a bit more now for Haswell, you will spend more in the long run with buying on a dead socket (unless your next upgrade will be a couple years down the road).

Thanks for your help! I will look more into the haswell. Since I do have a month to think :)

Looks good to me, although I hear that Ivy Bridge can OC higher its negated by Haswell's new innovations. New build, get the newest tech, if someone was planning on upgrading from 3770k to 4770k then it wouldn't make sense, but from nothing to 3770k doesn't make sense either, should go directly to newest.

Everything else looks amazing, 4TB HDDs <3 and 770s are great too, although SLI can have its issues (mostly heat, but with the ACX coolers that should be a lesser problem for you) I would get a single 780 if you're not doing multimonitor.

I'm gonna be using 2 monitors :) But thanks haha. Been looking towards this build for a long time

Look into:

8GB ram
ONE GPU for your monitor (which you never listed what resolution you will play games at or if you are playing games on 3 monitors)
and a lot lesser PSU.

That should save you HUNDREDS while still being just as happy.

You do not need a fan for the ram. For looks, go for it, but need, negative.

Again, spending a ton more on the PSU than you need to. A 750W PSU will be plenty. Choice is always yours of course. :)

Oh forgot about that! Just looked at your PSU guide and saw that. I think I will downgrade.

Any 750W the link in EarthDog's signature should do it :thup:

I prefer modular/full modular

If you're only gaming on one monitor, stick with a single card. SLI is more power consumption, more heat. It's significantly more headache than a single card, as the performance improvement is not the same across all games and it often doesn't work with games when they're first released. It's a giant headache that can be avoided since a single 770 will max out anything at 1080P, and if you're at a higher resolution, a 780.

Also, what are you using it for? Reason being that you probably don't need 16GB of RAM or a 4TB HDD if all you're doing is gaming, but more SSD space is always something nice to have.

Yeah, I certainly agree with going with Haswell and the 4770k. And the PSU definitely does not need that much juice :) Iagree with everyone here that a single 780 will do much better for a single monitor or even two at 1080p. If you want to go with dual or triple monitors in 1440p then SLI 4Gb 770's or ACX 780's would be the best.

He has two monitors. He mentioned that about 10 posts ago. nobody read it apparently.

Missed something..........

If he's running two monitors he's not going to be gaming on both of them so that doesn't matter for GPU capability. A 8800GT can do two monitors. With two monitors it's all about the primary gaming monitor rez etc.

That's what we need to know. Pretty much any 7950 or GTX 770 is plenty with a min of 2 GB Vram, 3 is better for long term usage.

Back