• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build: Windows 7 and Programs in one SSD partition?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coras

Registered
In my new build (still going over the responses to my previous posts) I'll have a 120 GB corsiar SSD for serious stuff, and a 1 TB SATA II HDD for media. I was planning to make that SSD into two partitions. One for Windows 7 64-bit and another for software. However, I often heard 64-bit Windows OS needs to use a special 32-bit program files folder to run 32-bit software.

I do still use quite a bit of 32-bit software but not as much after the new system is built I figure, but I still want to consider it. Would it be better to just have one big partition and install all my software (Adobe Master Collection CS6, Unity 3D, 3DS MAX, Maya etc...) in the program files folder? and any 32-bit software in 32-bit program files?

OR would it be better to store both OS and software in different partitions?

You are really just adding an extra step by making 2 partitions. You might as well have 1 partition for everything! That will ensure that everything works with everything else

Yeah. 64 bit programs install to C:\Program Files and 32 bit programs install to C:\Program Files (x86). I'm not sure why. I manually install all my programs to the same folder on a different drive, and they all work fine.

I often heard 64-bit Windows OS needs to use a special 32-bit program files folder to run 32-bit software.

Windows x64 already has installed part of OS the 32 bit software running. They do not need to be in Program Files (x86).
It is better if you have 2 sdd, 1 for OS and another for stuff.
Otherwise, just stick to 1 partition. That's my opision

Back