• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, would like some feedback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itachiii

Hey guys, I'm currently planning on building a new rig (say in the next couple of months) and I would love your opinions and maybe changes on it.
I've been talking about it over and over with GTXJackBauer and I really thank him for the input! So the list is in its final shape for now and I would like to know your thoughts about the loop:

i5 6600k
Asus Maximus VIII Impact
G.Skill TridentZ 2x8gb @ 3000MHz
EVGA GTX 1070 (depending on what my local stores will have here)
A U.2 compatible SSD

Everything put in a Bitfenix Prodigy.I will be overclocking this build to the top it can take for daily use.
EK-Supremacy EVO copper block
EK GTX 1070 Nickel block
Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile 240mm
Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper Single or Slim profile 140mm
EK-DDC100 3.2 PWM pump/res combo
Primochill Advanced LRT 1/2" - 3/4"
A bunch of Bitspower compression fittings, plugs and 90° fittings.
EK-Vardars for fan choise

What do you think? The SSD became an issue as well since I was thinking the Samsung 950 Pro at first since I saw that there's only U.2 interface on the mobo. Should I wait for the new U.2 compatibles to come?

Thx in advance!

EDIT: What do you think about the rads? Anything I should change in the list?

Last edited:
Your listing looks good, just have to make sure you get a compatible SSD for that MB if you want to use the PCIe lanes.

As for the rads, you can't go wrong with them as long as the measurements are done for said case.

Overall, your parts look good to me and can't wait to see the finished project. :salute:

Hey guys, I'm currently planning on building a new rig (say in the next couple of months) and I would love your opinions and maybe changes on it.
I've been talking about it over and over with GTXJackBauer and I really thank him for the input! So the list is in its final shape for now and I would like to know your thoughts about the loop:

i5 6600k
Asus Maximus VIII Impact
G.Skill TridentZ 2x8gb @ 3000MHz
EVGA GTX 1070 (depending on what my local stores will have here)
A U.2 compatible SSD

Everything put in a Bitfenix Prodigy.I will be overclocking this build to the top it can take for daily use.
EK-Supremacy EVO copper block
EK GTX 1070 Nickel block
Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile 240mm
Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper Single or Slim profile 140mm
EK-DDC100 3.2 PWM pump/res combo
Primochill Advanced LRT 1/2" - 3/4"
A bunch of Bitspower compression fittings, plugs and 90° fittings.
EK-Vardars for fan choise

What do you think? The SSD became an issue as well since I was thinking the Samsung 950 Pro at first since I saw that there's only U.2 interface on the mobo. Should I wait for the new U.2 compatibles to come?

Thx in advance!

EDIT: What do you think about the rads? Anything I should change in the list?

After looking at various builds inside the Bitfenix Prodigy, I have to say you are a very brave individual!

Most of what I saw were truly remarkable with just water cooling the CPU, and very few water cooling the CPU and GPU.

The link below is one guy that did water cool the CPU and GPU so if you'll check it out and scroll down a ways you'll find some pictures of his end results.

I think seeing what is actually possible and reading over what he had to do will be a better answer to your radiator question.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/my-planned-bitfenix-prodigy-build.176427/

Good luck to You, with my big fat hands, you are braver than I am! :)

Hey Silver Surfer, thx a lot for the reply! I like to think that my bravery won't cost me in the end! :D Trying to be as optimistic as possible since space is a major concern here. I'm more or less in the same page with the guy in the thread but from what I've been discussing with ppl, a 140 mid FPI rad will be sufficient. But then again, every piece of advise or opinion is more than welcome! :)

@GTXJackBauer: Thx a lot for your help once again ;) Yea I will be doing a project log in order for the ppl in here to see the final result!

The SSD issue though seems tough for now. No U.2 SSDs out there except from the Intel 750

Last edited:
Water in the Prodigy. Yea, you need to check out Vault Boy by Alexciobanu on this very forum. There's few others that master ridiculous quite like that.

Prodigy builds are getting pretty popular, so you should be able to get plenty of ideas and assistance from all over.

Water in the Prodigy. Yea, you need to check out Vault Boy by Alexciobanu on this very forum. There's few others that master ridiculous quite like that.

Prodigy builds are getting pretty popular, so you should be able to get plenty of ideas and assistance from all over.

Yea I did check this build, nice work even though it doesn't meet my tastes! Great job nonetheless! Space management wise everything seem to fit, I just want you guys to drop in ideas about the list and most importantly about the front rad. Should I get a thicker one?

Thx for the response!

EDIT: I'm also going for the EK-Vardars as fans, I'm thinking between EK-Vardar F3-140ER or EK-Vardar F2-140. Depending on the front rad thickness obviously. Is the 140ER overkill?

Last edited:
Depends if you're going to flash the BIOS and run high volts to it.
If you're not, get the reference card.

If you're looking to OC and want cleaner power, FTW for a few bucks more. If just for gaming, the reference is fine.

If I'm not mistaken, the FTW and Classified have LED lighting built in but could be wrong. I know the 1080s do but not for the reference iirc.

Also, make sure the WB mfgs are making WBs for those non-reference GPUs which isn't always the case.

Hey, thx for the replies! Yea I will be OC'ing and I e-mailed EKWB to see if they are making or planning to make any WBs for it. They did make a fullcover for the GTX 970 FTW so I'm having faith on this one as well! :D Otherwise, I guess I'll stick with the GTX 1070 SC.

FWIW, EK has confirmed they're working on a block for the EVGA 1080 FTW.
The 1070 and 1080 reference PCB's are the same block from EK, so it's possible the 1070 FTW and 1080 FTW could be on the same board.

The 1070 FTW and 1080 FTW have the same phase count and same max power draw.
Same PCIe power connections as well.

FWIW, EK has confirmed they're working on a block for the EVGA 1080 FTW.
The 1070 and 1080 reference PCB's are the same block from EK, so it's possible the 1070 FTW and 1080 FTW could be on the same board.

The 1070 FTW and 1080 FTW have the same phase count and same max power draw.
Same PCIe power connections as well.

Generally from what I've seen, GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 share their blocks in every model. So that's the case for the FTW versions as well I guess! I will be buying in roughly 2 months from now so we are cool yet. Hopefully they will have the block released and If I'm lucky I can buy the card from EVGA as well!

EDIT: This brings another issue though.. FTW has 215W TDP, would it affect my loops components after the OC as well?

Last edited:
EDIT: This brings another issue though.. FTW has 215W TDP, would it affect my loops components after the OC as well?

Your D-Temps will rise. You could ramp up your fans or leave it the way they are. You'll just have to play with it and see what temps and noise you're comfortable with. Overall, you should still be ok.

Your D-Temps will rise. You could ramp up your fans or leave it the way they are. You'll just have to play with it and see what temps and noise you're comfortable with. Overall, you should still be ok.

Hey GTXJackBauer, thx a lot again for the answer! I'll definetely get the 46mm 140rad then and hook it with an EK-Vardar 140ER then. I'm looking at having negative pressure in the case either way with 3 exhaust fans and 1 intake, which I think will help ambient a little bit.

It has 215W available for power delivery, but the TDP of the GPU remains unchanged. You won't pull 215W with it, unless on sub-ambient cooling, period.

The Vardars are very solid fans.
Are the specific fans enough for these rads? The XT45 240 is rated at 12 fpi, the same goes for the XT45 140. I would go for the X-flow series but they are more expensive.

Nice, thx! :) I was also thinking of buying the Delid-die-mate and delid my chip as soon as it arives. They say temps drop is insane. But losing the warranty is another thing that's bugging me...

EDIT: The X-flows are for the same price at PFPCs so I will go for those.

Last edited:
Back