• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New computer. You help me.:)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike K

I need to build a computer for my friend. All he does is go online and play a few games. But recently I got him into UT so it needs to be able to play that well. He will not overclock so I do not need the best motherboard out there. He does not want to spend more than $700. I need some help picking some parts. Here are the parts so far:

Duron 1 GHZ-$42
CPU cooler-SVC $30
Motherboard-$89
Memory- Crucial OEM 2100 256MB-$50
Video Card-Radeon 7500 OEM-$68
Modem-$20 local store
Hard Drive- WD 20GB 7200RPM ATA 100-$64
Floppy-$8
DVD drive-Pioneer 16x-$47

Please give me some advice as to case, mobo, and some things you would upgrade. The things I listed are $450 without case or mobo or power supply, or cpu cooler. Also, I'm worried about the hard drive getting hot so do you think I should go 5400 rpm?

Lets look at this;
MOBO - ECS K7VTA3- KT266A $64
Hard Drive - Maxtor D740X 20gig ATA133 $67
Memory - Crucial PC2100 256mb $65
Case - Evercase w/ side fan $22
Power Supply - Allied 350watt AMD Approved $28
CPU - AMD XP1600+ 1.4gig $75
Modem - Encore 56K PCI w/Motorla chip $8
DVD - Lite On 16XDVD 48XCD-ROM $38
Floppy - Samsung $9
Video - Gainward GeForce3 Ti200 64mb $113
Heatsink fan - Arkua 7528 copper core for upto XP2100+ $22
Total with Shipping--------------------------$568

Well under the $700 limit.
Better CPU, HSF, HDD and Video card.
Checkout newegg.

Last edited:
Thanks alot. I'm sure I could've found better prices, I threw that together in about 5 min. Also I was looking at newegg but I couldn't find maxtor hard drives. Also GF3 for $1? And would you recommend getting the quiet fluid drive? It is the same price.

Last edited:
I'll get him a fluid bearing 20Gb drive. I was going to get him a 40GB drive originally but he has had a 4GB drive for about 4 years now, so I figures he would never fill it up, or even come close to it. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.:)

The Maxtor 7200 rpms drives with fluid bearings actually run rather cool...

As for the motherboard, I guess that ECS board is getting good user reviews, but what about something like the Abit Kr7A? Sweet board, and $72. But no onboard sound...so you'd have to pick up a MuseXL for like 15 bucks. However, the Abit board is awesome, and the MuseXL would sound ALOT better than the onboard sound on the ECS...

Just a thought though. I've never used one of those ECS boards. Yes, I like my one K7S5A, but I could still get my A7V to run faster than it with tweaks. (Same ram, same CPU).

I guess I'm also kinda nervous about the whole ECS/PC Chips thing...PC Chips...I really don't like them...

Mike

My cousin got a faulty K7VTA3 and he rma it couple weeks ago. He couldnt wait so hes already bought a new board. He told me he wanted mt to sell it on here for him, but I dont have the board yet so I wont post in the classified yet.

Might wanna check there if he hasnt bought his comp by then.

I don't think he needs good sound. All he does is go on the internet and play UT once in a while. I'm going to stick with the ECS because he needs a stable computer that he can always use, not an overclocking friendly board because he doesn't even know what a cpu is. But that's about to change;)

Da Whip said:
I am still a little leary of Abit boards. They are one of the few that have 50 page FAQ/Problem links.
http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/kg7kr7faq.htm

There are almost always compatability and hardware issues w/ Abit. Fast boards, but like a Ferrari, you need a full time mechanic.

I have yet to have a glitch w/ ECS. They may not be the fastest, but they are very stable.

:eek: ...Damn!

Lots of info there, dude thats awesome! I already found the solution to somethign I hadn't even begun to look much into! HA!

"AGP Program May Hang When Using Page Size Extension on Athlon Processor (Q270715)"

I was getting this in a flight sim program the for some reason resized my page file size...figured I had installed it wrong or something...(I was very preoccupied when I installed it)

I must say, I might have to try one of those ECS 266a boards sometime...how are they for tweaking though? I mean, alot of the Abit problems seem to only be based on incorrect configs b/c there is so much info in the bios...I personally like that and don't mind it but I'd see where it'd be a problem for others, like friends and family :)

Mike

I dont mind ecs, I wouldnt buy one for my own computer. My cousin had one and I built an ecs duron system for my brothers freind. I havent been overly impressed but they are very cost effective for the average user. Decent boards except they tend to lack in features.

Could even go to to an radeon 8500 and up the processor. The 8500s have really come down in price and im sure its debateable but beat the ti200s in benchmarks according to 3d mark.

And maybe go to a amd 1600 or 1500.

HaywirE said:
1 Gig Duron?
Eww..

Atleast buy a 1.4 for 90

First, a 1GHZ Duron is fine for the net and UT.
Second, I am getting the parts that el posted, and getting doubles of the vid card, and the hard drive for me.

Also, subconcept, I don't care about benchmarks, I care about what the vid card does. With its programmable pixel shaders and AA.

Also, can anyone recommend a cpu cooler from newegg for the 1600+? The copper core Arkua is out of stock. One that is in the same price range.

CPU FAN|HHC-001 PURE COPPER (AMD/INTEL) For socket 370, A, 462, (Intel) PIII CuMine Up to 1.13GHz & Higher, Celeron/Tualatin up to 1.5GHz Higher. (AMD) Athlon up to 1.8GHz, Athlon 4 up to 2.2GHz, Duron up to 1GHz & Higher. This is designed for Overclocking. ( THE ULITMATE THERMAL SOLUTION) Retail Box Model#: HHC-001

$26.00 @ Newegg.com

I recommend a 1600 XP For $66 Dollars.

I also recommend the GeForce 2 MX400 64MB For 40 Dollars, or the GeForce 3 TI200 - 100 Or CHEAPER!

Or GF2 PRO 64MB DDR MSI (I loved it, but it died, course i sent it back and got my cash back) You will be missed.

EPoX 8KHA You will be missed

1600 Xp You will be missed.

Netgear fa311 You wont be missed (You stopped my computer from posting)

The Shuttle AK31A is also another good board. It's only $60 on newegg. Those fluid bearing drives are really good, I have a 60 gig in my system and it's great.

Back