• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New computer...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YourGreatestMem

I have: 921.962 USD - 1,024.40 USD to spend....

I want to buy a good computer, currently i have:
LG GSA-4167BAL 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer Internal IDE (Black) - OEM

I-Cute ATX Gaming Case with 350W PSU

PowerColor X550 Bravo Edition 256mb GDDR2 128bit PCI-E

Seagate ST3300831AS Barracuda 300GB 7200RPM SATA/150 8MB Cache - OEM

Asus A8R-MVP Socket 939 Xpress 200 PCI-E SATA ATX Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Socket 939 512Kb L2 Cache 90nm

CRUCIAL 1GB DDR 400MHz/PC3200 Memory UNBUFFERED NON-ECC CL3 2.6V
Crucial 2GB kit (1GBx2) DDR PC3200 CL=3 UNBUFFERED NON-ECC DDR400 2.6V 128Meg x 64

I would like to buy a quad core pc, with water cooling or just a really cool case, i like lights and sexy looking case but not neccercery. Need atleast 400GIG hard drive space... 2x 200GIG would be nice, because it will have two operating systems installed XP Pro on one and Vista on another hd...

This pc will be used for personal downloading and storage/backup

Needs to be good for gaming, ive looked on loads of sites but im not the best at finding stuff and dont know if its compatible.... I'm good with putting pc's together so if someone can help me find some stuff good for me it would be a great help...

It doesn't need mouse/keyboard/speakers or operating system and doesnt need a screen but if someone can find me a good gaming big screen what can go with a pc but still under my MAX budget of: 1,024.40 USD then that would be cool.

I am also with my brother + parents buying my oldest brother a PC, but he wants atleast 2gig ram, and a quad core 2.4ghz he and a minimum of 300gb hard drive

I need to be able to get it to deliver to the United Kingdom though....

Please help me out, ive spent like a month looking on sites like aria, ebuyer..ebay ect

I have: 921.962 USD - 1,024.40 USD to spend....

are you sure you have EXACTLY that much to spend????

you sound semi knowledgable but not at all at the same time. kind of like a craigslist scammer. no offense if you're not. read around and get a feel for things more. you could re-use the dvd burner and hard drive from your current system.

Presumablly your in the UK and have a budget of about £500.

For a start shop at:

www.scan.co.uk
www.microdirect.co.uk

Cheapest UK shops out there.

-Secondlly a GOOD watercooling setup will cost £125-£200, which on your budget would be a WASTE of money.
-Thirdly you will not get a large gaming monitor in this budget.

If you provide us with a bit more in depth information about exactly what you want we might be able to help you better.

I've come up with the following as a starting point. This would leave you a bit of cash for your case.

Hope this helps.

Well thanks for the reply, i am semi knowledgeable im more of an error/software fixer.... lola

I don't know what "Craiglist scammer" is so... care to explain to me?
Also i don't take any offence on the internet.

I know i could re-use the DVD/CD Drive from this system but i want a brand new pc, this one will be using the drive if not i still would like two drives in the new pc as its so much easyer to run the games then i dont have to swap disks so often for two of my fav games... lol

Yeah, i am 100% sure how much i got to spend, its sitting right in front of me in cash but its in GBP (£) just put MAX of $1000 (500$). £500 on xe.com/ucc is 1,024.40 £450 on xe.com/ucc is 921.96

EDIT: @ eggtrade

Thanks for that information i haven't been on them two sites

For your water cooling comment, ok that's fair enough a cool atx tower would be fine then. I haven't ever looked into water cooling but its meant to be good for gamers...

My current case is nice and cool, its colder in my case than in my room. so i would get one basically the same.

- Well im 17, looking for a job so when i got enough ££ i could go get one at later date, atm im using a 15" cheapy :p

I have a gig of ram sitting in a box because my dad bought it for his pc but didn't realise it wouldn't work. Its: Kingston KVR533D2N4/1G (1GB PC2-4200 CL4 240-Pin DIMM ) So i could have 3gig ram :p

EDIT#2 Also my current graphics card doesn't run some games like: Timeshift and Gears of War, so wouldn't i need a 512 graphics card...?

Thanks alot for your time, its very much appreciated

EDIT#3 What sort of information do you need? everything you picked out in the thing looks good except im not sure on gfx card like i stated just above.

EDIT#4 I was just lookin on ebay again how come there are loads like with the same sorta specs as the one you found... going for like £250-£350 whats missing on them or whats the glitch...

Last edited:
Another thing, ive just spent some time reading all your guides and that about over clocking, but im slightly confused with the guides... I havn't ever overclocked so can someone run me though how i can do it to this current pc? PowerColor X550 Bravo Edition 256mb GDDR2 128bit PCI-E AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Socket 939 512Kb L2 Cache 90nm CRUCIAL 1GB DDR 400MHz/PC3200 Memory UNBUFFERED NON-ECC CL3 2.6V Crucial 2GB kit (1GBx2) DDR PC3200 CL=3 UNBUFFERED NON-ECC DDR400 2.6V 128Meg x 64 There the threee things, ram and processor are the ones i would like to o/c the most...

I'd rather get a e6750 and a 8800GT than a q6600 and a x1950pro. However, if you want the q6600 so badly, then atleast grab the hd3850.

For harddrives, check if one 500gig 7200.11 seagate drive is cheaper than 2 200gig drives. I'd also recommend the 250gig 7200.10 410AS seagate drives over those ones.

I dont know what that means... Also White_Pawn i dont understand your first line... Doesn't having 2x 250gb hard drives or 2x 200gb hard drive work out to transfer/copy files quicker than having a single hard drive? Do you people think i should wait until after Christmas??? Cos I'm sure i can get some more money by then aswel...

I would also go for a e6750 and a 8800GT rather than a q6600 and a x1950pro, with your budget. You will see a MUCH bigger difference in gaming with the first two.

I'd rather get a e6750 and a 8800GT than a q6600 and a x1950pro.

Agreed- In fact I would go for the e2160 and a 8800gt. E2160's easily overclock to 3.2Ghz, and as they are fairly cheap if you wanted to upgrade to a Q6600 in a few months time you could do.

Back