• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New cooler needed...Advice please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

So my Corsair H50 is done for and I need a new cooler.

I can't decide between air and a Corsair-like liquid cooler.

Here is what I've been looking at:

1. Megahalems
2. Thermalright Venomous X
3. Corsair H70

I have my 920 overclocked to about 3.3GHz most of the times.

I also now have the Lian Li PC-A05NB mini tower, which supports full ATX boards.

Of the 3, I would go for the Venomous X. It's a better cooler than the Megahalems and the H70 costs much more for the same basic performance. And if you want to buy a budget cooler that performs within a hair of the Venomous X (and better than the Megahalems), look at the Cogage True Spirit and I would upgrade the mount to the Rev B 1366 mount (linked part is the same as Rev. B 1366 mount). The True Spirit comes with the older Thermalright "X" type original TRUE mount which isn't nearly as good as the Rev. B mount. The performance even with the included fan kicks butt and while it's not necessary, you can also add a second set of these fan clips (which do fit the True Spirit) to run a push pull fan setup. BTW, I do own the True Spirit and can verify all the linked parts work with it. And in case you don't know, Cogage is a subsidiary of Thermalright.

The H70 is no better than high end air, in my personal experience and it's generally more expensive. It does fit into a tighter socket area than a big old honkin' heatsink such as a NH-D14 so for some folks it's a good choice.

I have no personal experience with that particular Noctua unit. Noctua does build some very good heatsinks. But looking at his results he's showing with a bunch of other heatsinks, I kind of suspect his testing and maybe methodology. Because I see heatsinks rated lower than the Zalman 9900 Max in his testing that I know for a fact beat the Zalman pretty convincingly. For one thing, he's testing at a lower TDP and with a Lynnfield system. I test with a Bloomfield i7 930 @ 4 GHZ, which is a much higher heatload than his Lynnfield.

Take my suggestions as what you will; I don't have to live with your buying decisions.:popcorn:

Back