• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New CPU cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

Hey guys - I was looking again at Newegg for the cooler I wanted to get (Dark Rock Pro 3) and it seems to have disappeared from the site. I don't think be quiet quit making it, but Newegg quit selling it, and now there is a Dark Rock TF low profile cooler. Have you guys heard anything good or bad about that cooler? I am going to build a micro ATX computer with the Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 case and an Intel 6600K processor in the next two or three months. The Dark Rock Pro 3 barely fits in the case (about 2 mm to spare)...it seems the TF would fit just fine if the TF is as good in cooling as the Pro 3. Any input is appreciated. :D

I'd just get an NH-D14 or NH-D15 instead...
The low profile is not going to cool nearly as well as a dual tower cooler.

Alternatively, find it somewhere besides Newegg. They're not the only site selling PC parts.

You're right ATMINSIDE. I just read the review overclockers did for the TF and it seemed to be ok, not the best. Back to the Dark Rock Pro 3, I guess. Noctua would be fine, except their aesthetics are ridiculous (to me). I had decided on the Pro 3 for my build a while back before I checked Newegg and found them not selling it anymore. I really like the look of the Pro 3.

You're right ATMINSIDE. I just read the review overclockers did for the TF and it seemed to be ok, not the best. Back to the Dark Rock Pro 3, I guess. Noctua would be fine, except their aesthetics are ridiculous (to me). I had decided on the Pro 3 for my build a while back before I checked Newegg and found them not selling it anymore. I really like the look of the Pro 3.
As the author of that TF review, I'd say you were smart not to get it. It has a really ancient mount. They know better.

So, things to look for: the mount; the number of heatpipes; the size of the heatpipes; the size of the fins; the size of the fans. Better check out the reviews for a look at the DRP3's mount. It has 7 heatpipes, the center being 7mm (it is no accident that the best performing heatsink has a pair of 8mm heatpipes). I can't tell about the size of the fins. But the center fan being only 120mm is perhaps a warning.

Maybe an editor can ask be quiet to send me one for comparison testing.

Back