• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new dual-multi core xeon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I'm certainly late to this party.

The whole incompatibility thing is EXACTLY like the move to dualcore and going from the i925 to the i955x. The chipset needs to be able to handle the logic for the extra CPU on the die, and a hacked i875P certainly isn't going to do it. And, even though the use of the existing e7520 might imply that all you need for the newer server-class e752x series is a BIOS update, there's most likely pin-level differences that need a whole new mobo. I don't know, I haven't looked at the docs, but I don't have much motivation to honestly. This is a dead-end chip.

Mr.Guvernment said:
i HATE review sites that do this! they will then go on about how intel got their arse handed to them from AMD - like come on!

apples to apples PEOPLE!

Thank you. Also, note that the tests were oriented mostly towards the Opteron's already known and proven strengths; there wasn't even one single PS bench in the whole thing, for example. Incidentally, the Opteron's strengths (especially servering) benefit more easily from 4 cores, whereas some of the content creation Xeon stuff probably wouldn't scale as well.

more cores that are slightly slower = Opteron goodness
two cores that are insanely fast = Xeon goodness

^ both for the physical architectures and the applications they're best at

I think you missunderstood me, i wasent sugesting that a hacked bios would do it for the PC-DL, again, what i was revolting agenst is trying to present ASUS dev/support as anything else then a corporate tool to maximize winnings.

B!

What I was trying to say is that even beyond the PC-DL, with the modern stuff, there's probably pin-level signaling differences and definitely new circuit stuff with the chipset to handle the extra cores. That's not workable with just a BIOS update.

Mr.Guvernment said:
i HATE review sites that do this! they will then go on about how intel got their arse handed to them from AMD - like come on!

apples to apples PEOPLE!

I HATE people who complain about things without even looking into them yet :D

Seriously though, I just spent a while looking through Intel's webpage, and could'nt find any mention about dual-core xeons that run at a speed faster then 2.8ghz, including their own benchmarks...

But I guess the least the reviewsite could have done would have been overclock the xeon so it would perform decently!

Intel hasn't released a faster dualcore Xeon, so its true that they were comparing "top of the line" to the "top of the line" of AMD. However, you have to recognize the much larger difference between top dual- and top single-core speeds with Intel, whereas with AMD they're almost the same, so in reality the "top" Intel dualcore Xeon is more of a midrange part.

dropadrop said:
But I guess the least the reviewsite could have done would have been overclock the xeon so it would perform decently!

Not with that board, and because of the special compatibility issues, you can't just drop it in an OCable Xeon board.

dropadrop said:
tis was a joke :)

:eh?: I guess that's what sleep deprivation + midterms do to you...

Still, the first point should be made, even if completely out of line as a response :)

Back