• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Gaming Build. Skylake I3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeasonalEclipse

Just wanted to know everyones opinion. Dual Core with hyper threading looks sweeeeet and affordable. Should handle multithreaded games much better then the past generation(s) I3s, right?
I just built a skylake build for a buddy of mine with a 6500 I5 and ATI 380, I talked him down from a I7 since all he wants to do is play Fallout 4. I figure a I3 should be plenty for a budget gaming box for myself. I cant find ANYONE whose used one yet though, or reviews on it. I know a dual core wont cut it, and I considered a AMD 860K rig since its one of the cheaper quads on the market, but for about 50 more I can get a I3 and it should trump the AMD in every way imaginable.
Anyhow, what does everyone think of the new I3s?

The i3 should do just fine, but as games release that utilize more cores it'll start to struggle.

There's one good thing though, you can upgrade the CPU down the road :thup:

Hm.. I read around that the 860 AMD CPU is better in games due to it having a real set of 4 cores compared to the I3. Should I just go super cheap AMD build then you think? Benchmarks really arent a thing for me and I wont be 4K gaming.

How about this:
- What's your budget?
- Where are you buying from? (Is there a Microcenter near?)
- What resolution is the monitor you'll be gaming on?

Near no one. Ill be buying on Amazon since they are about the same as New Egg prices.
My budget will be tight. Id prefer 500 or less BUT I have a case, a PSU, a 500GB HD and a old 32GB SSD (kingston)
I will be buying a separate monitor(right now I just have a crappy 20 inch LCD TV I use to bench with and install windows), or perhaps a 40 inch TV if I can find one with high enough mhz.

My current system is a Asus T100TA tablet/laptop combo so gaming is incredibly limited. Lol
Im hoping to get something thrown together to game with again. Maybe it will be better to wait until tax time for prices to drop and for more money to come my way too?

I was thinking either a I3 to be ahead of the game and be modern.. But then the tight wad of me wants to pinch pennies and go AMD since the difference is marginal.. But upgrade path is non existent

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/1G7UEMRFGH3RT
This is what im thinking right now. Skimp on a GPU until next year, then upgrade it. Get the I3, 16GBs of ram and a cheapo motherboard since I dont intend to OC really or run 10 graphics cards.

Last edited:
If it's more than about 4 years old I would suggest replacing it on the new build.

This is what I'd do if I were in your shoes:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LHj7xr

Looks like there's some great deals right now on the board and PSU from SuperBiiz, I'd pull the trigger.

Waiting till tax time it is. Lol I guess I should do it right the first time, huh?

You should absolutely do it right the first time.
When you get your taxes back, let us know, then we'll have a firm budget and can tailor the build to current deals.

I've got something in mind for you. A monitor I saw with a price too good to be true for what it is. Had I seen them before I bought the ones I have, I'd have bought them without a second thought.

LG 25" Ultrawide, 25UM56-P IPS panel

LG 25UM57-P IPS ultrawide 5ms(GTG)

Honestly, the only difference between them is the Response time, But both are solid panels. Almost ALL other panels in its resolution class are arond $400.I'm probably going to buy two of these down the road, to once and for all get two completely similar monitors to make colors closer to eachother.

Hope it helps! EDIT: Holy crap, $30 off on the non 5ms GTG

Last edited:
Back