• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New gaming rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCnewb83

I'm looking to build a new gaming rig, I've built a few computers before, never one with top of the line new components though. And definitely never OC'd. So what I'm looking for is something powerful(FAST!) and RELIABLE enough to run new games. And something easy for someone new to overcooking. I'm on vacation now so I can't really look at the spec's on my old computer. But I would like to reuse the PSU which is an evga 850w (not sure which particular model it is, but I just bought it a couple months ago so I know the brand and wattage. I'd like to spend closer to $2,000...but if needed I think I could spend $3,000.

I think I would like to use a cheap CPU cooling option up front(noctua 14?), with the idea of upgrading to a custom liquid cooling system down the road(CPU and GPU). When I build this I want to put a solo 980ti in it and when I add the liquid cooling I'd like to add another 980 Ti.

I have a monitor, again, not sure the specs of it but I EVENTUALLY would like to get a 2nd monitor(I want to buy 1 when I build the computer and a 2nd later on).

So let me get to the parts that I liked, I'm not married to the idea of any of the following list, But I would like to stick with Intel and NVIDIA.
One unimportant side note, I'd prefer a case that's not black, I found one at Newegg I liked but it wasn't on pcpartpicker. AGAIN not important but I'd like to go with a white/red color scheme, but am open to ideas.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($369.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($58.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME EATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($440.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 750 Series 800GB PCI-E Solid State Drive ($699.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.66 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($639.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($44.10 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus PB287Q 60Hz 28.0" Monitor ($468.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2980.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-27 16:59 EDT-0400

Not sure if there is a better way to link this case but here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1119260&RandomID=5370872234282020151027135025

This brings me to the question segment of my post.

The motherboard, I NEVER plan on doing three-way SLI, or adding much more than what I have posted. But I picked this board because it seems like its fairly simple to overclock on. But I wonder if Asus' Hero board would be better suited for my setup?
The other reason I picked this board was it had the u.2? connector right on the board, again simpler for a 1st time builder. So I guess the question is, is the extreme over kill for what I plan to do? Is it as easy to OC on the Asus hero board? again, not married to the idea of Asus, those were the ones I've done the most research on. If there is an easier board for a first time OC'r I'd appreciate any ideas!

Which brings me to storage. I've read how incredibly fast the Intel 750 ssd's are, but then I also read that it wouldn't have much affect on gaming and that it in many cases slowed boot times compared to a regular ssd. I don't transfer large files, again this machine is purely for gaming and tinkering with.
It seems to me I could get equal performance and save some $$ If I just went with like a Samsung pro 500GB ssd for my o/s and a lower tier Mobo option.

Another question in regards to Graphics cards. I haven't done as much research on gpu's so I'm not really sure how 'new' the 980 is. I've been seeing that DX 12 is the new trend... that being said is it wise to invest $600-$1,200 on cards that may be out of date soon(out of date is probably bad wording, I hope everyone understands what I mean). I understand they will be good for years to come, esp. With driver updates and all, but if they release a new card soon won't prices on the cards drop a little??

That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure I will have more questions as I get closer to building it. Also, I've read some of the other posts here, and as I stated previously I'd like to stick with Intel and NVIDIA, but I don't care which brand Asus, msi, ect. As long as they are solid and back their products. Thanks for your advice in advance! Matt

One last thing, I would like to start building it mid December. I'm trying to do all my research up front so I go in as well prepared as I can, so I'm not a super hurry.

two things right off the bat,
the cooler might be a little small.
where is the psu to power this rig?
as far as ssd's I think just get a big one, games are about reads, not writes but ssd's just make it all so snappy.

Given price trends, i7's and nvidia cards typically hold value for a long time. I would suspect the 980 ti will last 4-5 years before becoming irrelevant (3 years before becoming bottom barrel). Coupled with the 6700k, it should not leave you wanting an upgrade for a long time. Look at the gtx 680 for example. That card came out almost 4 years ago, and was reiterated as the gtx 770. 770's in sli are quite relevant still, and they are relatively ancient in the pc world. In 2 years or so, a gtx 980 ti will likely still be 350-400$ (maybe even 500$); nvidia cards hold value for an extremely long time.

Is it "worth it" though? Hard to say. If you have the money to spend on a top notch system, then absolutely. As much as 4k is awesome, I would say you're probably better served in the long run getting a really high quality 1440p monitor. 2 4k monitors is certainly out of the question for 1 980 ti, sorry, but 2 1440p is probably going to be fine in most scenarios for a while.

In my opinion, SSD speed seems largely trivial above 500mb/s. So what, windows boots in 7 seconds instead of 9? Games load in 22 seconds instead of 28? The cost/performance ratio really isn't there for my tastes. Id say stick with the samsung as it gives great value for money in performance, reliability, and support.

I know my post is rather long lol. As I stated at the beginning I have a 850w EVGA PSU from a previous build I will take for the new rig...I went to Newegg and found the exact PSU I bought. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28N1790 here.
I wasn't really picking that cooler, it was just something cheap I threw on there to give the idea that I want to start cheap as I believe the CPU is shipped without a stock fan. And then I'd upgrade later to a custom liquid setup.

for less than $100 you can get the 14 or 15 from the same maker and might be all you need and save the $300 from the custom loop unless your like me and don't want to hear the flippin fans.
the psu will do the job

Nobody's mentioned that the MVIIIE is way overkill for his uses? Heck, it's overkill for anything short of extreme benching.

If you're looking for something flashy, the Gigabyte G1 Gaming is one of the best looking boards I've seen in a while, but you could go much less expensive while still having top quality and reliability. The Asrock Extreme6 comes to mind.

The PCIe SSDs are way overpriced for anyone who doesn't use them to their fullest, and a gamer won't use one to it's fullest. For $200 less, you can have an 850 Pro, and for $100 less than that, you can have the 850 Evo. Both are 1TB drives, both are blazing fast and both will be plenty for a gaming rig. I'd recommend the Evo, myself.

If I'm not mistaken, that's about $600 you can save on your budget.

Back