• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Gen6 boards at Computex, how long until x99 are dropped from production?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FranBunnyFFXII

Registered
I'm planning on saving up to buy the rest of my PC parts come november blackwahteverday sales, and with the new boards and intel processors teased at computex, should I be scared about x99 going out of production before then? Or will X99 stick around for a while after z170 chipset boards come out?

Seeing that they still produce z87 and z97 boards after X99 came out I tend to think that trend will continue(it has since I have been in computers at about 20 years...). I bet z87/97 and X99 boards are still produced after the new z170 is out.

X99 is high end/enthusiast grade chipset. Z series chipsets are mid grade. There is no way that Z chipsets replace X. Every X chipset has ~3 years life and at least 2 CPU generations.
There will be Skylake-E in 8-12 months for X99 and X99 also supports all 2011-3 Xeons. Xeons have longer life than any desktop CPUs just because Intel has to guarantee availability of CPUs for business while they don't really have to for home usage.
There are also no plans for 6 core+ CPUs for Z chipsets in next 12 months and I doubt it will change. X chipsets will still have more pcie lanes so will be better for multi gpu setups. I also don't think it will change as Z170 won't be much different from what we have now with slight improvements in network, USB and maybe something more.

Back