• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Hardware.... how should.... ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PretzelPusher

My brother just got some new hardware to upgrade his system and was wondering how well this new build should hold up for future gaming.... I told him I would post up as he doesn't have an account yet.

This is what he got.

Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P
Gskill DDR3-1333 PC3-10666 2048x2
Phenom II X2 550 Black
Evga 9800GTX+
500gig Baracuda 7200.10

He is waiting on the academic version of Win 7 Professional x64 to arrive before tearing everything out of his case.

Any thoughts would be helpfull.... watchouts, make sure's ..... you know... just general advise.

Thx

What are his needs? He wont be gaming with the newest games on the highest settings with all the eye candy turned up...depending on the res. The HDD is a bit dated but Im sure will do the job. I would have went quad over dual...but again, I(we) dont know the uses, the budget, nor the res he games on either to give any educated advice.

As far as compatability, it would seem ok. ;)

Well, he has been told that the 550 will unlock to a quad... so he was going budget. He plays MW2 and Source but he is really into setting this system up for the Battlefield game that is coming out next year. Of course the MA790 is a crossfire board so eventually the 9800gtx is going out the window.

He plays on 1680x1050. He is coming from a 939 FX-55.......

I have the same motherboard and processor, He can easily O.C. the chip with just the multiplier to the 3.5-3.6 range on stock volts, However you want some decent cooling if you really want to push it, Next I would try unlocking the processor and see if he can end up with a tri or quad core, Again, Watch temps with stock cooler, Since you have the processor and motherboard to do it, You might as well try.
I game on a 22" monitor at 1920x1080 without any issue's at medium eye candy settings. I would guess my 4850 would be very similiar to the 98gtx.
I haven't had any compatibility issue's with windows 7 so I wouldn't worry too much there.
Overall nice motherboard, My CPU didn't unlock, However it wasn't purchased with that as a priority. He should be fine for gaming.
Also, When installing everything, Be carefull when putting in the 24 pin power connector, My standoffs didn't line up with the right side of the motherboard so there is no support on that edge ( Problem is noted on various reviews on Newegg).

We appreciate the feedback Scott.... his steppings have shown really good success at unlocking to a quad..... we'll hold our breaths when the time comes. Yes, we also have heard about the standoffs not lining up.... we'll keep that in mind.

by the by.... we're from Noblesville...... GO COLTS!!!!!!

We appreciate the feedback Scott.... his steppings have shown really good success at unlocking to a quad..... we'll hold our breaths when the time comes. Yes, we also have heard about the standoffs not lining up.... we'll keep that in mind.

by the by.... we're from Noblesville...... GO COLTS!!!!!!

I purchased my CPU/Motherboard/Ram at Frys up in your vicinity. (I live on westside). I hope you have better luck with the CPU unlocking..

And as you said... Go Colts!!!!

Back