• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Headset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I noticed a good difference with my Amp/DAC on the PC350SE.
It's not needed if you have good onboard, note. That said the Z77 Extreme9 would drive those decently, but not amazingly.

none of my headphones are loud enough from any of my motherboards, asrock z87 z97. But thats just my preference for loud music. The amp helps with volume and also in bass capabiliy and especially at higher volumes
I dont have to have an amp, I just like more volume than most

Ah sorry, I wasn't saying there would be NO difference, but more of basing needing an amp and such on ohm ratings that a lot seem to think.

The PC350/360 uses the 595 drivers just as the G4ME One/Zero uses the 598 drivers, so if you throw an amp their way they will perk up a bit. Things get even more interesting when you move into tube territory.

I noticed a good difference with my Amp/DAC on the PC350SE.
It's not needed if you have good onboard, note. That said the Z77 Extreme9 would drive those decently, but not amazingly.

Good lord man... how loud do you have your headphones turned up? :attn:

I like to jam. I do get better volume if I plug them into the Klipsch pro media setup rather than the board. that way they are loud enough for me

The h wireless was my favorite wireless, favorite wired was a sennheiser g4me one. Ultimately I'm leaning towards recommending getting a decent set of headphones and a separate microphone.

I agree, buying a quality set of headphones with a separate microphone is a great option. Being able to drop a significant amount of money (~200) on good quality headphones you can use at your computer, or when you're out and about is really nice, killing two birds with one stone. Some quality headphones even come with mic options. I got a pair of Audio Technica WS99's a few years back for general music listening and DJing usage for their sound quality and bass chamber construction. I didn't realize that they came with a separate in-line mic cable when i ordered them, but turns out their inline mic sounds really good. Background noise filtering isn't that great, since it's inline and not mounted by your mouth, but it's on par with most mid-grade gaming headsets.

In general I would recommend staying away from "gaming" branded headsets. In my personal experience you're paying for the aesthetic, and not actual driver/mic quality. I've listened to my moms 40 dollar Audio Technica headphones that blow my old 80 dollar dollar gaming headset clean out of the water. You really cant' go wrong if you stick to reputable audio brands like AT or Sennheiser.

There are several manufacturers that sell magnetic boom mics that you can attach to regular headphones while gaming, then disconnect when they aren't needed, and there are plenty of desktop mounted mic options. It all comes down to personal preference, and budget.

I will have my review showdown of various gaming headsets here this week (barring any major issues) for wireless I used the g930, steelseries h wireless, and turtle beach elite 800.

The h wireless was my favorite wireless, favorite wired was a sennheiser g4me one. Ultimately I'm leaning towards recommending getting a decent set of headphones and a separate microphone.
I have a Logitech G930 and a Razer Krakin 7.1.

I like the Logitech better because it is more comfortable and it is wireless. The problem with mine though is it drops audio for a moment intermittently. The dropping of audio was really bad when playing Civilzation V and the diplomacy screen opened. I ended up buying the Razer because of this and haven't had the audio drop since.

If Logitech could stop dropping the audio it would be one of the best headsets hands down.

The Krakin has almost as good audio and doesn't drop signal ever. My only gripe is that it isn't wireless so I do have to contend with a cable but it isn't too bad. This evening when I get home I will give the Logitech headphones another shot on my new computer. I have tried them on my 2.3GHz Mac Mini and my older PC running a Core 2 Quad Q9650. Maybe the audio dropping was just processor lag.

There are a lot of reports of the G930 having connection issues in locations with a lot of 2.4ghz interference or if you are using a USB3.0 port instead of 2.0 for the receiver.

There are a lot of reports of the G930 having connection issues in locations with a lot of 2.4ghz interference or if you are using a USB3.0 port instead of 2.0 for the receiver.

That's the thing my Asus P5N-D didn't have any USB 3.0 ports. The 2012 Mac Mini did so I also tried it on my HD DVD drive port with the drive plugged into the Mac Mini. My wireless adapter is working at the 5GHz bandwidth. I don't use the wireless often though because I prefer the faster and more reliable wired gigabit connection. I ran Cat 5 cables from my living room to my home office and have them in a wall plate right next to where my machine is.

Could I be having issues if the neighbors are running 2.4GHz wireless networks?

Last edited:
That's the thing my Asus P5N-D didn't have any USB 3.0 ports. The 2012 Mac Mini did so I also tried it on my HD DVD drive port with the drive plugged into the Mac Mini. My wireless adapter is working at the 5GHz bandwidth. I don't use the wireless often though because I prefer the faster and more reliable wired gigabit connection. I ran Cat 5 cables from my living room to my home office and have them in a wall plate right next to where my machine is.

Could I be having issues if the neighbors are running 2.4GHz wireless networks?

My G930 got interference from both Wi-Fi and microwaves.
If possible, be ~15-20 ft from either with that headset.

If your 2.4GHz Wi-Fi is operational at all it will cause interference, not just if there's data being transferred.

Many wireless routers have Bluetooth coexistence. Try turning that on if it's supported. Ultimately, the best solution would be headsets that just use Wifi, but there are unfortunately few options available.

As far as headsets go, some like the Klipsch S3 are actually very good for playback, but I have yet to find one with a particularly good microphone. You'll actually have to get a separate microphone if you want a good one. You'll also want a preamp as close to the actual microphone sensor as possible, which is easy to DIY with a little electronics experience. Headphone amps are also easy to DIY.

Back