• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Home Network.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeJ

Registered
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, Im starting to put together a home network. ! thing i can not find is, if i have a 5 disk NAS, does it need to be in raid, does each HDD need a HDD for the raid, in other words, if I have 5 disks, do i need 5 more disks for the raid and what raid should i set up?
Thank you for your responses
MikeJ

do a little reading on how raid works, but i'll give a tl'dr, with a 5 disk array you could do like a raid 10 with 1 hot spare. say you had 5 10tb drives in there you'd have 20tb usable storage, or if you did a raid 5 with 5 10tb drives youd have 40tb usable lots of options just depends how much you value your data, with proper backups it really doesn't matter which one.

That helps alot and I have done some reading and plan on doing more, but just a few things, like what happens to the xtra HDD if you got 5 in the array. I also read people suggest either a raid 5 or raid 10 and I value my Data :) thank you for the info wagex :)

That helps alot and I have done some reading and plan on doing more, but just a few things, like what happens to the xtra HDD if you got 5 in the array. I also read people suggest either a raid 5 or raid 10 and I value my Data :) thank you for the info wagex :)

in raid 5 the extra disk is a pairity, all the information on the array has been doubled at some point, say you have one drive die, you simply pop it out and replace it and the array will rebuild itself, most cases it will never even stop working even when the one disk is broken. raid 10 you lose half of your storage and you can lose up to two disks without much hiccup. raid 5 if you lose two disks all the data is gone.

Back