• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New HTPC Build: Gut Check

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anfallgel

Hey all,

We're moving across the country to a new place and after researching cable TV options to accompany my 42" HDTV, I've decided that for the $140/month that it'd cost me to get digital TV with HD channels and a DVR, I'd instead try an HTPC only using media available on the Internet or physical media (mostly Netflix & HULU). Also, I will be piping audio out to an AVR.

With that in mind, do you see any glaring holes in my build or any suggestions to bring cost down a bit? I do know that my case choice might be scrutinized, so my justification was this: Small form factor = happy wife, front panel card reader, integrated IR receiver, solid construction.

Total Cost: $750.00

I've done a lot of research to zone in the best power consumption - noise - performance - function - price ratio ... however any advice is welcomed.

Thanks for taking a look.

Last edited:
u looked at antec's offerings for an matx htpc case.... i think theirs are a bit cheaper... come with a psu and are quite nice.

I had looked at these originally and discounted them for one reason or another. However, taking another look I've decided to change out Moneual for an Antec Black Fusion. Its a bit bigger than I wanted and the LCD panel seems wonky, but airflow is going to be better and its $100 cheaper...

Back