• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new issue with win10.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiteSmoker17

starting yesterday i when to check taskmgr and this popped up.

20150906_161035.jpg

im running AVG and have done a full scan with no threats found.

seem like damm near everything is asking as "unknown" publisher

Also im running the stock setting in the UAC.

You are almost definitely infected sir. That has been the case whenever I have seen this symptom

My suggestion:
Download the following and run in the order listed. De-activate all running system anti-malware tools

1. TDSS Killer (Only reboot if prompted)
  2. AdwClearner (Allow reboot after scan)
  3. Junkware Removal Tool v7.6.0.0.
  4. Run the free Eset Online Scanner (Enable Scan potentially unwanted applications, Scan for potentially unsafe applications and Enable Anti-Stealth technology)
  5. RogueKiller (Close all programs and disconnect all USB or external drives before running)
  6. Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit

Good luck!!

Edit: FYI, I am definitely not an AV expert. The above is simply the method I use to clean any machine with the same symptoms as you. Not always successful, but works say 9 out of 10 times I guess.

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to say. The malwarebytes anti-rootkit is in beta, has potential to be unstable and cause loss of data. So if you're going to use it then I suggest you backup your important files first, just in case. I've never had a problem with it, but better safe than sorry.

RJA this install is only about a month old. If i do a nuke it will be to go back to win 7.

By definition, a nuke should only be used as a last resort, after all other options have been completely exhausted. Hopefully, assuming an infection is the correct diagnosis, the system will clean up nicely. :) It doesn't take too long to run the necessary anti-malware programs and is a relatively simple process too!!

@NiteSmoker17 - Let us know how it goes please

cozumel i have had one problem after another since i have moved to win10. I like the look and some of the newer features but i dont like the stability.

i did a system restore and i think i have fixed it but this is not the first time i have had to do a system restore since i have had win10 on my system. my last install of win7 lasted me well over 2 years without a single system restore. just not happy with it.

RJA this install is only about a month old. If i do a nuke it will be to go back to win 7.

That sux. I would flip with an only-1-month installation!

But, I hope some of the news I heard about Windows 10 is true! I heard that Microsoft could be restoring some Windows Update control. Stay tuned...

Ive had java problems. My VLC media player keeps crashing. I hate that even tho i have disabled the login screen in both the GP and Reg it is still there every time i boot. now this problem......im running 64bit win10 with 64bit programs

If you want you can disable the UAC completely:
* [Disable User Account Control:]
Start > type
msconfig
> Tools TAB > Click on Change UAC Settings > Launch > Slide down to Never notify > OK > Yes >

Ive had java problems. My VLC media player keeps crashing. I hate that even tho i have disabled the login screen in both the GP and Reg it is still there every time i boot. now this problem......im running 64bit win10 with 64bit programs

Java: Other than waiting fro new version of Java to come out :shrug:

VLC: Try DAUM PotPlayer instead. www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/748133-Freeware-video-player-DAUM-PotPlayer-skin-customizations

Disable login correctly:

* [Always log into Windows 10 as an Administrator without password requirements:]
Start > type
netplwiz
Users TAB > UNCHECK: Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer > OK
(A dialog will appear that asks you what user name and password should be used to logon automatically.)
Enter existing password or leave blank if you never entered your password > click on OK
The system should now boot into Desktop automatically without the logon prompt.

c627627 i have tryed that for the login and not working. ill check out the DAUM player. and im not completely gonna disable UAC.

but thatnks for the info

cozumel i have had one problem after another since i have moved to win10. I like the look and some of the newer features but i dont like the stability.

i did a system restore and i think i have fixed it but this is not the first time i have had to do a system restore since i have had win10 on my system. my last install of win7 lasted me well over 2 years without a single system restore. just not happy with it.
In my experience, while a restore will often remove the symptoms it can leave any installed infection(s) in a dormant state, residing somewhere, waiting again for the right conditions to re-activate itself. Sorry if I sound pessimistic, but just wanted to give you a heads-up based upon my personal observations when cleaning systems.

cozumel i have ran all of those in the order that you told me to and have found 0 threats. so going with that im guesssing win10 doesnt like me.

My guess is either corrupted install media, or hardware issues. Just checking, but did you install Windows with everything set to factory defaults? If not, for shame! :p But seriously, if not, your only option may be to reinstall Windows. If you did install Windows with everything set to defaults, your image download may have been corrupted. MS's checks for file integrity aren't known to be the greatest.

So, to recap, my suggestion is to reinstall at stock speeds with a freshly made install image (I wouldn't run the media creation tool on that machine, if it were me).

Well made the jump back to windows 7 today and after 3 hours trying to get win 10 to let go so i could put win 7 back on im finally here. now for the long process of updates and reinstalls.

Partitioning then imaging/reimaging OS partition could take only a few minutes ;-)

it was giving me fits about needing a driver at window install. I was trying to do it with a USB stick. never had this issue before. finally after finding and dusting off my blank dvd stack i make a new win7 install disk and just used it instead of the usb stick. on the usb i did the whole bootable usb through cmd and everything. IDK but its up and running a fresh install of win7 now and am much happier. so is the gf because she doesn't have to worry about any of the 4 video players crashing randomly and all the time.

c627627 i tried that pot player and it crashed like everything else.

Back