• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Linux CUDA app?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HankB

I've been running a fairly non-optimized Linux CUDA app (setiathome-6.11.x86_64-pc-linux-gnu__cuda32) and see that there is a newer (and hopefully improved) app (setiathome_x41g_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu_cuda32)

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the new app. I stopped boinc, modified my app_info.xml for the new app and restarted boinc. When I saw it try to download the new app (doh!) I stopped it again and copied the new app to the correct directory. When I restarted boinc I found the messages:

Code:
Mon 16 Jan 2012 09:24:29 AM CST	SETI@home	Sending scheduler request: To fetch work.
Mon 16 Jan 2012 09:24:29 AM CST	SETI@home	Requesting new tasks for GPU
Mon 16 Jan 2012 09:24:35 AM CST	SETI@home	Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
Mon 16 Jan 2012 09:24:35 AM CST	SETI@home	Message from server: No tasks sent
Mon 16 Jan 2012 09:24:35 AM CST	SETI@home	Message from server: No tasks are available for Astropulse v5
Mon 16 Jan 2012 09:24:35 AM CST	SETI@home	Message from server: No tasks are available for Astropulse v505
So I'm curious if I have something wrong in the setup or if there is truly no work. (Also note that I'm configured to only run CUDA tasks for SETI since I use the CPU for Rosetta.)
While I was composing this I now see

Code:
Mon 16 Jan 2012 09:29:43 AM CST	SETI@home	Sending scheduler request: To fetch work.
Mon 16 Jan 2012 09:29:43 AM CST	SETI@home	Requesting new tasks for GPU
Mon 16 Jan 2012 09:29:48 AM CST	SETI@home	Scheduler request completed: got 23 new tasks

And the new task is happily crunching away at it's first WU. Check that. First WU finished in 8 minutes and it's nearly finished on the second one. And it's keeping the GPU 50-60% busy. At present I'm only running one CUDA instance. I'm going to leave it that way for a while to compare RAC with old and new. Once I've established that, I'll try running two instances to see what happens.

As an aside, when I ran out of Rosetta work units I temporarily enabled Einstein and was surprised to see that it has combined CPU/GPU applications. It was running one of these that soaked up one CPU core while keeping the GPU at over 70% utilization. Looks like a good DC project if you want to easily utilize both GPU and CPU resources (at least for Linux.) Both SETI and F@H require some skills to get GPU tasks running on Linux.

If you install the latest boinc client for Linux you can get .2 CPU for 1 gpu. Einstein@home will give you 500 credit for 1 completed gpu unit. A gtx 580 gets between 20-28k a day.

Back