• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New mobo - what to do with windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreenSmoke

I have windows 10 installed already. I have a new mobo, processor and ram. I know i need a new windws key but is it just the key i need or will i need to do a fresh install?

I am hopefull i can just swap hardware and when i power on windows will guide me....

Here is a thread that may have an answer for you. Im pretty sure ive seen such things discussed in there.

But to try to answer your question from what I have read: I believe you will have to do the entire install process over again Win10 somehow remembers your mobo and ties it to the key in a supernatural way. You will want to anyway (once again I think) unless your new mobo has the same chipset as the old one.

Windows 10 has much more ability to adjust to a different mobo chipset on the fly than did Windows 7 and earlier. But if you will need to buy a new product key anyway the best practice is always a clean install.

Windows 10 has much more ability to adjust to a different mobo chipset on the fly than did Windows 7 and earlier.
I've found it a bit more finicky in my experiences.

I went to x99 from p45 without reinstalling and so far its been fine, im probably gonna reinstall to be on the safe side though

Back