• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New motherboard same chipset and manufacture

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2950

hi,
I'm looking to swap my Asus maximus impact z97 for the vii gene z97 so I can add an extra gfx card. Would I be able to swap these without doing a fresh install of windows? I've just had the free windows 10 upgrade and all other hardware will stay the same until I can pick up another gtx 980.

Here's the thing it'll likely work but AFIK Win10 upgrade is linked to the board you are currently using. So Microsoft may have an issue with it and say your windows isn't valid. The original OS Win7/8 etc.. do you know if it was a retail copy or OEM copy?
Other than that it should work just uninstall any drivers that won't work on the new board such as JMicron, Asmedia etc.. could be USB, Lan/ storage drivers. If they're not the same as the new board there will be problems.

You will need a new W10 license. If you have an OEM version of W10, Microsoft, for the time being will accept a motherboard replacement as "equipment failure." If you have a Retail copy, you shouldn't have an issue with the license. I would do a fresh install, though.

Was originally windows 8.1 of which I have a retail copy but I don't have any instillation or key for windows 10 because it was the free upgrade.
So if I just uninstall the software I don't need for the mobo it should work ok?

Yes it'll work, as I said Win10 may be the problem but should be able to clear it up with a phone call. If necessary just tell them it was a board failure.

Back