• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PC build and Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AceWarwick

Hi
I'm looking for some insight into upgrading my 2010 PC build and eventually ill be making a New Computer. Im just wondering what i can use out of my old computer for my new Build, primarily my power supply, hard drives and CD roms(not sure if they will work with my new mother board. I'm a plug and play type PC builder and don't have much detailed technical knowledge, so i thought subscribing to this Forum would help me learn a bit. Im thinking ill get the GTX-1070TI and put it in my old computer for now because it looks like its PCI express 2.0 compatible, any thoughts and extra info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks. 001.JPG

My new build(as i can afford it) will be
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
I7-8700K 8GB
GTX-1070TI
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 3200 MHZ DDR4

My old computer from a 2010 Build has
Rampage 2 extreme mother board
I7-920
Asus EAH5870 graphics card
Corsair Dominator 12 GB Ram DDR3
Cooler Master 1250W real power pro
Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
HP DVD writer 1270r ATA device

Yes, you can use your existing drives in the new build as long as they are SATA and you can use the new video card in your existing machine. But you may have to reinstall Windows from scratch, especially if you will still be using Windows 7 as the motherboard chipset will be different. I would do that anyway.

But now is a terrible time to buy a graphics card. Bitcoin miners are scarfing up video cards right and left and even when they are available to buy the price is through the roof. Memory prices are unusually high right now as well.

I do not see anything wrong with the new build per se. Maybe if you gave us a budget we could help you out more. If you're looking to save a bit you don't need that much motherboard unless there are features you want. I also feel the Dominator Platinums are a waste, if you want a good set of sticks get G.Skill Tridents for less money. No way I'd use a 10 year old Psu in a new build, all you need if for it to die and you could lose the whole new setup. I'd also get an SSD for a boot drive, it's the single best upgrade for a Pc. I also agree with Trents about getting a Gpu, they are really over priced these days and are hard to come by.

I'll agree on the GPU. A 1070TI is a fairly good start on a reasonable budget in this market. May be me, but I'm tending to go for 32gb for RAM, just to allow for future.
I will mention that I did a complete new build from 2011, and retained nothing, so I started from fresh.

what monitor are you going to use, a 1070TI would be overkill for 1080p and that savings could be put to other pieces.

Its A BENQ RL2755 1920X1080 max resolution,LED, 1ms response time

- - - Updated - - -

Im Just Looking to get by with upgrading the GPU, then using that graphics card for my new build as i can afford each piece. is my power supply going to connect well still i know its plenty big enough just thought it was out of date?

- - - Updated - - -

Id say my budget for the gear i need will be in the $2000 area,sorry i see here u don't think my power supply will be reliable, ill consider that but will the harness work still? looks like i will want the SSD drives too. maybe i need to wait for buying the graphics cards how overpriced are they right now?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, looks like i should wait for prices to go down, how long do u think it will be? I just got Windows 7 pro installed by a computer technician, will i be able to transfer windows over to the new build or will my technician have to do it again?

The thing is, you could likely come close to buying all the other components, using what pieces you can from the existing rig, and have a running rig if you forego the new GPU until later and in the process save money overall. I mean we're seeing GPUs running at 200+% what then normally cost and even at normal prices that will be your most expensive component.

Back