• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Pc Build Dilemma

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaosmachine420

I am building a new pc for school hoping this is the last one I would need for school. This is probably going to need to work on large projects in Autocad/Solidworks now that I am going into more advance classes. For all that I still want to be able to game on I cant say the latest games, but not totally sure on that fact. I have a build in mind with everything on that list being changeable, but the only thing that cant change is the type of ram I want the Trident Z. The other reason for this post is the fact that Coffee Lake just came out of no where and wasn't sure if that would be better for clock speeds and overclocking better.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: 2 Seagate - BarraCuda Pro 10TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AMP Extreme Video Card
Case: Cooler Master - C700P ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Titanium 850W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Acer - GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

I need to add that the case and cooler are just place holders because I am not sure what case to get nothing pops out at me and cooling part not sure if I still want to do a custom loop which makes the case need to be friendly for that. The other thing that is a place holder are the monitors I should tho say my stand says they can hold up to 27 inch monitors but I could push it with 28 inch if needed.

That is my dilemma which do I go for and is everything okay with what I picked myself or what should I change for better results?

I'd go 8700k and Z370 motherboard. ABout the same Multi threaded performance (maybe 10% less), but around 30 % faster single thread.

With one video card you don't need an 850W PSU. 650W would be plenty.

The only major change I would make would be to add in a large NVME SSD for the system drive. You will find that the spinner hard drives that are currently in your list will be the performance bottleneck of the system, regardless of whether you go with Ryzen or Coffee Lake. Drop one of the spinners and add an SSD. Use the remaining spinner for data.

If you go with Ryzen, you might consider the 1700 instead of the 1800X. People are saying the 1700 overclocks to virtually the same point as the 1800X when all is said and done.

And you might want to consider going with a higher frequency RAM. As you may know with the right combination of RAM, Motherboard and bios people are able to get 3200 mhz RAM to work with Ryzen. But it can be hit and miss so it may not be worth the hassle for the amount of performance to be gained. An it would be more difficult to reach those high RAM frequencies with 32 gb.

Last edited:
Were you planning to mirror or stripe those two 10TB's? You should definitely go with NVMe SSD like a 960 EVO for boot.
Personally I'm not a big fan of using such large single storage drives. If you loose one you just loose that much more data. I'd rather have 2 or 3 4-6TB drives myself. Unless you are mirroring then sure.
Looks like the deal on the 8TB WD externals is over.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-eas...269&siteID=rGMTN56tf_w-5xgeIRqwAcnJaaqIJN.yEw
These were going 160-180 and had WD80EFZX's in them.

Would go Coffee Lake at this point over the Ryzen build. For some multi-threaded apps the R7 still pulls ahead but not noticeably enough to anymore. Definitely overkill on the PSU. A good Gold or Platinum Certified 650-750 is plenty.

Were you planning to mirror or stripe those two 10TB's? You should definitely go with NVMe SSD like a 960 EVO for boot.
Personally I'm not a big fan of using such large single storage drives. If you loose one you just loose that much more data. I'd rather have 2 or 3 4-6TB drives myself. Unless you are mirroring then sure.
Looks like the deal on the 8TB WD externals is over.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-eas...269&siteID=rGMTN56tf_w-5xgeIRqwAcnJaaqIJN.yEw
These were going 160-180 and had WD80EFZX's in them.

trents;8034878 The only major change I would make would be to add in a large NVME SSD for the system drive. You will find that the spinner hard drives that are currently in your list will be the performance bottleneck of the system said:
I should clarify this that I am taking from my old computer the boot ssd a Samsung 850 Evo 500gb and 2 and 4 tb hard drive. I just need extra storage because I seem to be the one that everyone dumps there data on that needs either storage for a bit or back ups of certain things. For the Intel though would going with something higher then 3200 mhz be better or just be the same out right.

I should clarify this that I am taking from my old computer the boot ssd a Samsung 850 Evo 500gb and 2 and 4 tb hard drive. I just need extra storage because I seem to be the one that everyone dumps there data on that needs either storage for a bit or back ups of certain things. For the Intel though would going with something higher then 3200 mhz be better or just be the same out right.

Honestly, memory frequency will be a relatively minor player as far as performance goes. And will you be going with 16x2 or 8x4? That might limit your choices. 8x4 gets very expensive.

It looks like either they are close to the same price with 3200 mhz or the 8x4 is cheaper by 10 dollars so which ever one is better to use. I still need help with finding a good case and 3 monitors.

... because I seem to be the one that everyone dumps there data on that needs either storage for a bit or back ups of certain things. ...

Be careful doing this...If you have a catastrophic data loss due to an HDD dying on you prematurely, it can lead to lawsuits depending on the value of the data lost. At least have a written agreement that any data loss is not your fault to protect yourself in case the worst case scenario happens. I personally would direct them to a Data Center that specializes in data backup, to me, it isn't worth the risk.

Be careful doing this...If you have a catastrophic data loss due to an HDD dying on you prematurely, it can lead to lawsuits depending on the value of the data lost. At least have a written agreement that any data loss is not your fault to protect yourself in case the worst case scenario happens. I personally would direct them to a Data Center that specializes in data backup, to me, it isn't worth the risk.

Most of the data is from family's computers and some of it is my own from old computers, so I don't have to worry about that part.

Dilemma no...just perfection but it's big ugly case stuff and an overly nice loop. big rez big rad big hoses quick connects, just no corners cut and perfected or something lol

The only reason why I was going with the 10 tb was for space issues so I can have all my data but only in a few drives but if I can get a good hard drive enclosure that connects to my computer directly then I can get smaller drives for cheap.

No these are good for pulling the drive from the external enclosure and using as a regular sata drive. I picked one up yesterday. You can leave it in the external but I hear they have cooling issues in them.

No these are good for pulling the drive from the external enclosure and using as a regular sata drive. I picked one up yesterday. You can leave it in the external but I hear they have cooling issues in them.

I was going to do that but the hard drive in this kind of enclosure https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-inch-H...eywords_browse-bin:2886974011,p_72:1248879011 .

RJ88 said:
Dilemma no...just perfection but it's big ugly case stuff and an overly nice loop. big rez big rad big hoses quick connects, just no corners cut and perfected or something lol

Oh I still have a few dilemmas the biggest one is case still not sure what one I should go with, but the other dilemma I have is around the monitors those were place holders so I am not sure if it would be better to keep them that way or go with 4k or even go up to 27 inch. There is one last but it would be out my hand is the processor if stocks will be in by the time I want to build my machine.

I was going to do that but the hard drive in this kind of enclosure https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-inch-H...eywords_browse-bin:2886974011,p_72:1248879011 .

Oh I still have a few dilemmas the biggest one is case still not sure what one I should go with, but the other dilemma I have is around the monitors those were place holders so I am not sure if it would be better to keep them that way or go with 4k or even go up to 27 inch. There is one last but it would be out my hand is the processor if stocks will be in by the time I want to build my machine.

Oh it will probaly still be no case the stand and rigged chaos lol...rads are fine still just need to block whatever it is and good pump/rez, and seriously want those quick connects/compression fittings.

Back