• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New RAM prevents computer (BIOS?) from launching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illusive Man

Hello, everyone.

I've recently purchased 4GB DRR3 RAM KVR16N11/4: http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...asp?root=&LinkBack=&ktcpartno=KVR16N11/4&id=8

My MB is Asus P5QC, it's supposed to run 8GB 1333MHz RAM.

I have been using another unit of the same model and it worked fine. I put another one (the recently purchased) in the second slot and the computer doesn't work, the screen is just black and I believe the BIOS doesn't start because I can't hear the beep.

What might be wrong?

try taking out the ram you had and try just the new chip by it self. Could be a bad stick. If it boots, then try 1 stick in each slot, it could also be the slot is bad.

I am putting the RAM into the correct slot.

The old unit works fine, the new one doesn't in both DRR3 slots, even when used alone (without the old unit).

Hmm... I've took the suggestion of my friend and lower the RAM frequency to 1066MHz through the BIOS. Seems to work now. How will this effect memory performance (max MB frequency for DRR3 is 1333)

Why should 1600 MHz memory chips in a non-defective motherboard need the speed to be slowed to just 1066 MHz to work properly?

It could be that the chipset is near its limitation as far as memory capacity is concerned. I can run 3x2gb just fine but 6x2gb is tough to get good clocks on. All of my memory is top notch stuff, and most of them can do at least 2200mhz. I have an X48 board in use, and it can run 4gb just fine, but more is a bit of a challenge to get good clocks on. But he is on an old chipset and probably useing ram that is optomised for more modern setups.

Hello, everyone.

I've recently purchased 4GB DRR3 RAM KVR16N11/4: http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...asp?root=&LinkBack=&ktcpartno=KVR16N11/4&id=8

My MB is Asus P5QC, it's supposed to run 8GB 1333MHz RAM.

I have been using another unit of the same model and it worked fine. I put another one (the recently purchased) in the second slot and the computer doesn't work, the screen is just black and I believe the BIOS doesn't start because I can't hear the beep.

What might be wrong?

Reseat the RAM, but, first I would remove it then go to the BIOS to give the VDIMM a bump. My DDR2 version of the P5Q series acts like that too.

Back