• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Rig, it's addicting isn't it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bryce

So, after successfully building my second rig I've decided to go ahead and start putting another on together. I'm still kinda new to all this but I'll post some parts that I think will work fine together. Looks like I'm making my home here now.

MOBO: ASUS P5QL-E LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
GFX: MSI N280GTX-T2D1G OC GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
POWER SUPPLY: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
CD/DVD BURNER: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - OEM
HARDDRIVE: Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Total Comes To: $1,546.42

For the case, I like Antec and it looks nice, but is it good for cable management? I was trying to find a case with a motherboard tray so that I could run cables under the tray to get em out of the way.

So, what do you think of these parts for a build? I want to be able to OC it like no tomorrow as well. I also would like some recommendations on a good water cooling system for the CPU, GPU, RAM (if possible) and really anything else that might need cooling.

I'm hoping that those parts will be highly OCable, but hey that's why I'm posting the parts list here. I'm just excited about becoming one of you, lol. I love this hobby, yet it's expensive.

Thanks for taking time to help me out with the parts. Like I said, I have built a couple PCs, but finding the right parts is hard for me. I'm learning though.

Well the things that jump out to me are the CPU and MOBO,

If your going to pay more that 300$ on a cpu, go ahead and get a i7. (In fact, 500$ will get you a 920 and a good mobo, IIRC)

If you decide to get anything LGA775, then I would go for a P45 motherboard instead of a P43.

Also, you might want to look into the 4870 and 4870x2 for graphics. Last I checked the x2 would outperform a GTX 280 most of the time.

I don't know much about water cooling, I'm a cheapo air cooler person myself. I'm also not that good at cable management either. :D

Yes, it is very addicting. Aside from the graphics card, I agree with what Kona said. Spending that much on a rig, go i7. If you are sticking LGA775, get a better motherboard. I never understand why people pair a top of the line product with a bottom of the line product. Even if you have to drop your CPU down to a Q9550, get a better motherboard. I'm a fan of nVidia cards, so I support your choice of the 280. I'd get an EVGA one myself, but brand is just a matter of preference.

As far as the watercooling goes, head over to the watercooling section, they'll be able to help you a ton there.

Can't speak for the Mobo, but I would go for the 920 over the 940. The 920 is going to overclock virtually just as well as the 940, but it is a lot cheaper.

Also, don't forget that if you get a i7 your going to need DDR3 ram, not DDR2.

(Oh, and just to clarify, my main rig and the rig I am awaiting to arrive both have nvidia cards. I don't want to go around looking like a fanboy of either side so I wanted to clear that up....)

Back