• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New SSD, how to get windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

divinecsgo

Registered
Hello. I bought all the parts for pc, but didn't buy a windows, since I've windows on this pc. Is there any possibility I could move/burn this windows on CD and make a clean install on my new PC's SSD without paying for Windows? Thanks.

You'll need to get an ISO of the current OS. Check to see if Microsoft has one available.

Do you know if this was installed as an EFI or Legacy install by chance?

What ATM said is spot on, I would check Microsoft's site for the downloadable ISO that you can either burn or mount to an USB drive and install from that. Of course it will need to be the correct version that you already have installed.

If you don't know the license/serial# for the Windows you have installed you can use software like Magic Jelly Bean: https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ to retrieve it.

Imaging his current hard drive's Windows partition and reimaging it onto the new SSD would be the quickest way, right?
But he would have to know how to to that...

Especially not a good idea if going from Legacy to UEFI since you won't take advantage of any UEFI benefits.

Back