• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Ststem to be ordered soon... What do you think??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

96redformula

New System to be ordered soon... What do you think??

My System's Specifications
(Assemble tests 72 hours burning)

Category Component
Case Enermax Mid-Tower CS-31881TA-B3A 350 Watt ATX Black
Motherboard ASUS K8V VIA K8T800 DDR400/333 AMD Athlon64 ATX
CPU AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0GHz 512K cache 754pin Oem
Cooling Fan Thermaltake A1770 VENUS 7+ Heat Sink & Cooling Fan for AMD Athlon 64 and Opteron Copper
Memory PC3200 DDR400 512MB Samsung Lifetime warranty
Hard Drive Maxtor 80GB Serial ATA 7200rpm 8MB Hard Drive
CDRW SONY CDRW 52X32X52 BLACK IDE INT OEM
Floppy Drive 1,44 3.5 Floppy INT Black
Keyboard Black 3 in 1 Combo - Keyboard w/ Wheel PS/2 Mouse,Speakers 400watt
Warranty 1Years Labor,1Year Parts,Lifetime Tech Support (TS)
Total Price $598.00

Shipping Rates
$38 - UPS Ground

I already have a Sapphire 9800 Pro to put in it and a Thermaltake 420W Power Supply (NON-active PFC)

I was going to do a barebone at first but I am getting some extra funds. I also am hoping that I can use the Windows XP from my old Compaq System Restore Operating system disk or if they are going to have a billion locks preventing this being it is compaq. I will have to order the DVD drive, and some case fans when I get the $$$.

Anything you all would change or suggestions...it is coming from unitedmicro.com

The one year warranty on the Hitachi kinda makes me a little wary. I'd go for something with a longer warranty myself.

Otherwise, for a stock system that looks pretty good.

In order to use your old compaq XP copy your gonna have to install a fresh install on the compaq, then rip the drive out and put it in your new system, and let windows detect the changes and stuff, otherwise it won't work.

In order to use your old compaq XP copy your gonna have to install a fresh install on the compaq, then rip the drive out and put it in your new system, and let windows detect the changes and stuff, otherwise it won't work.

Unfortunately no. It will not work. I tried it with my that with my old compaq, and I got a BSOD.

The Hitachi drives should have a 3 year warranty, and I recommend them as well. If you're planning to OC that system, then swapping the Thermaltake heatsink for a Thermalright 948A would be a good option, as well as changing the memory to something more high performance.

I'm not saying anything bad about the Hitachi drives. They're great performers. I would recommend them, but I'd be pissed if it inexplicably died (any drive, no matter the brand, can do this) after 366 days.

Well the memory is Samsung, Lifetime warranty. I will be able to install windows Xp with the hard drive in the compaq, then .....switch the hard drive to the new computer to work, right??
Do hard drive brands really make that big of a difference??????????
The seek time difference is only .06!!!

The seek time THEY say is only that much difference. In reality, .06ms is pretty significant.

All hard drives perform differently, even if they're all 7200RPM. Each one uses different technology and some perform much better than others. The Hitachi beats them all by a fair margin, but like I said it only has a one year warranty.

The hard drive has a massive impact on overall system performance (everything has to access it sometime) so it's worth looking into in more detail. Go to www.storagereview.com for some good comparisons.

As for pulling the hard drive out of the old computer and sticking it in the new one - it just won't work that way. The drivers in XP will go crazy when all the hardware changes, and you probably won't even be able to boot in to Windows. If you really want to salvage all your own settings (I think a clean install is nicer) then use the repair install feature with the WinXP CD.

if you could go with some other memory instead ofthe samsung it'll be great...
i had samsung and i can't complain much about it but if you get anything with mushkin...you'll be way more satisfied if you want to overclock in the future.
Also, tell me if i'm wrong but i heard that "life time waranty" is not to take as "forever" because the manufacturer is the one who decide how long is the life of a given product... which mean if "X" manufacturer decides to put a "lifetime waranty" on his memory, it can be a couple of second as well as a couple of years.
therefore i wouldn't only look at the waranty part especially for the memory because i must say that it is really rare to see memory failure if you don't do any mods or put to much voltage on you memory in wich case the waranty doesn't really matter if you are the one who over-stress you product (just like oveclocking of cpus, you fry it, you lose it). :bang head

Last edited:
I want to say that about 1 in 10 on newegg had their hitachi hard drive go out on them. It does come with a 3 year warranty though.

I am also probably going to switch to the EPOX n250gb motherboard after reading old posts and looking for a good motherboard.

So then I am going to need to buy windows Xp for sure..........I was hoping that I was not going to have to buy another copy.

Back