• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to building

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hoggers

Hi all -
First post newbie here but here goes. (Excuse any stupid questions...)

Im looking to build myself a mid range pc - i already have a SSD for my os in the current pc plus 2 tb HD for general stuff.
Im new to the whole build your own scene and was wondering if i could get some advice.
For a casual gamer - i buy things if i fancy it not for hardcore gaming (damn wives...) but want a little project.

Can anyone give me some tips on a good rig or what to look out for without breaking the bank?
I understand the basics but any pointers or websites that run epic offers from time to time is appreciated.

was pointed towards the gtx 970 and although it looks like things wet dreams are made of im not sure if its the best bang per buck.

any help appreciated

Adam

What resolution are you running?

So, to be clear, you need the whole tower except for HDD/SSD?

Also, what is your budget?

What is your budget?

Do you already have the OS or do we need to include that in the budget limit?

Depends on your budget, if you're going for just some games on your computer, you can get away with an overclocked Pentium anniversary on a cheap Z97 motherboard and get a 970 with 8GB of Ram and you should be rocking. Being that the 970 is stupid power efficient, you should not need a bank breaking powersupply what so ever, a 500w could power it! Just make sure you get an 80+ bronze or better power supply and you should be good to go. Being that you already have drives thats awesome, note that you'll have to re-install your operation system because you're changing over to a new motherboard (assuming you have some data on your two drives already). You could also go with an AMD FX 8320 if you wish to stretch your budget some, it'll give you some more multi-task performance if you're someone who has 50 tabs open on Chrome at one time!

Regards,

CryoWork

note that you'll have to re-install your operation system because you're changing over to a new motherboard

Look up the "Sysprep /generalize" command. Note that you'll want to backup all of your data though. Also not entirely sure how well this works with OEM copies of win 7/8. Also don't use it on RAID arrays... They might have fixed the RAID issue, but I don't know...

Last edited:
Hi -
Thanks for the replies.
Budget around £700-900 not to include drives, opticals or OS.
Everything else is needed.

Id rather not cut corners if spending a littke but extra is worthwhile - but at the same time im not spending just for the sake of it.

Thanks for your help
Adam

Back