• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Forum, 1st project visualization, opinions? ( not a log )

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goshawk

New to Forum, 1st project visualization, opinions?

Updated 5/30 - Added system sketches as promised, see end of post
- I haven't started the mod yet, once i do and i have pics, i'll move to
the project log section

===========
Greetings All,

First Post! :santa:

Following the advice of a friend at work, i've been lurking for about a week.

===========
Whats in the Box (pics linked, links at bottom of post)

Antec SLK-1650B with stock 350w Power Supply
Asus P4P800SE Mobo ( No wireless Module )
Intel Prescott P4 3.0E rev. D0 ( non-OC'd, but OC'd by a friend @ 3.7ish
CoolerMaster Hyper48 cooler with AS5 thermal grease
512mb PC2700 Kingston & 512mb PC2700 Supertalent
Gigabyte GeForce FX5200 Video Card
1x 80gb EIDE Western Digital Master
1x Maxtor EIDE Removable Slave ( loud as heck )
1x 160gb SATA Western Digital
1x Lite-on DVD/CD-RW

Future upgrade plans:

-Replace RAM with 4x OCZ DDR PC-3200 Rev 3 512mb Modules
-MSI GeForce 6600GT 128mb AGP 8x Video Card ( NX6000GT )
-Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Sound Card
-Seasonic s12 600w PS

=============
Mods so far ( mostly store bought stuff, tiny bit of custom )

Added Green UV Side fan with single CCFL UV ring
Swapped out rear 120mm with Green LED lighted fan
Added front LED UV Green 80mm fan
Installed Vantec Nexus 4 channel Fan Controller
Custom ( read: cobbled together mock up) HDD Cooler -> see my post in project logs regarding this mod
Installed some store bought Round EIDE cables ( thick! x.@; )

============
Modding plans ( i'll be posting a rough sketch of my ideas later on )

-Replace Motherboard tray with clear Acryllic
-Replace 5 Bay HDD Cage with custom lower profile cage
-Cut up front panel from the bottom of the 5 1/2" bays down, replace with custom "louvered" Mesh
-Dremel out inside front of the case for 1x Green Lighted 120mm on bottom ( case ventilation ), and 1x Green lighted 80mm above that ( blowing on HDD's )
-Compartmentalize HDD's to seal off from the rest of the interior & Independantly cool them (air )
-Stealth Optical drive & Hide removeable Maxtor behind spring loaded delete panel
-Replace Vantec Fan controller Chassis with Unused delete plate ( to get rid of crappy lettering ) & change blue LED's to green
-Relocate Fan Controller to top of case inside custom Metal enclosure w/ acryllic door, maybe a couple USB up there too.
-Acryllic windows on both sides ( i haven't seen alot of folks showing off the back of the motherboard too )
-custom rounded EIDE cables, black mesh sleeving
-sleeve all possible cables
-perhaps integrate my IPod dock? haven't decided
-Hinge both side panels & install locking releases, i was initially thinking of using the recessed door handles from a Jeep Wrangler, since they're plain & square
-Modularize the Seasonic s12 600w PS when purchased, encase in UV green acryllic
-install 1x 12" UV CCFL tube, and 1x 12" green CCFL tube, but make them impossible to see the tubes themselves unless the box is upside down

Some bling, but not a ton of it. The goal is a really clean modded box.

===========
The windows on the sides are going to be as large as possible, however i haven't decided what i want to do to them. If anything i'll do some sort of custom etching myself, otherwise they're going to be plain-jane clear.

I want to keep with the overall theme of the lower front of the case, but flatten it out and stretch the louvers to almost the corners to give it an almost utilitarian look from the front. Between the stealthed drives, and louvered mesh, it's going to look interesting.

If you aren't familiar with the case, here's a link: Antec SLK-1650B

Hope my post wasn't TOO long =P thanks to the folks that read this far! I welcome all suggestions & ideas, if you spot a problem with the setup, please let me know!

Front of case next to Server
Whole Case
Case Open
Open case, Full Mobo View

Mod sketches ( planning )

Thanks again!

~ Gos

*insert witty signature here* =)

Last edited:
agrees with water cooling.

if you dont do water cooling, get those cables sleeved and tucked out of the way,
also, are you able to put a front intake fan on the case? i see a vent but cant tell if there are mounting holes.

i made the mistake of buying parts expecting to replace them. it is a good way to waste money and get a poorly preforming computer until you can get enough money to get the parts you want

I'm a bit skitish about water since i've never done one before, although i'm not closed to the idea.

I already have all of my equipment, minus the OCZ ram, the acryillic (sp?) needed for the mod, and some lighted fans

The 3.7 over clock that was done previously on this chip was air cooled with a Hyper 6, however i have no idea if that was stable under full load. I'm probably going to go water if my temps are high.. we'll see for now. The last thing i want to do is throw cash into water and have it be overkill.

~ Gos

if you are planning to overclock water will not be overkill, you'll drop your temps plenty and most likely be able to overclock more then you could with air

If you dont want watercooling, you could always get a good heatsink, and fan like the xp-90 and xp-120.(IF it fits on your mobo, of course.)

I've got a Cooler Master Hyper48 on there now, might put a 92mm vantec tornado on that thing since i have a new fan controller. I know they're uber loud, but noise really doesn't bother me.

I may go water with this one, found some F150 heater cores for $60 at carparts.com

My only question is, are these systems pressurized to a rediculous PSI? or are they low pressure / slow moving flows? Just curious about what works best.

If i go water, I'm going to grab another Antec SLK-1650B case and chop it up, making a compartment at the bottom for 2 heatercores, 1 for the processor, and one on standby for the SLI setup id like to build eventually.

Yep.. getting there, just need a little bit more funds for the proper tools and materials and i'll be in buisness =P

~ Gos

I would definatly watercool. As for the psi, it depends on how hardcore you want to go :). Mostly you are looking at pumps that do about 350 gph. They are not putting out alot of psi and have about 10ft head. All you need is to get good hose (I suggest tygon, but I am sure others will have have their own favorites) and clamp them onto the blocks. If you are looking for a place for blocks, www.dangerden.com is a great place (again my fav blocks, others will have different fav). I also suggest you go with 1/2" barbs (allows for better flow). Other than that should be good. If you have any questions, pop on over by the watercooling section and feel free to ask, or feel free to pm me. Good luck

Back