• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to pc building need suggestions....Srry....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry to hijack, been looking to build a new system, and browsed many of these 'review my build' threads for homework! its been 5 years since my last build, guess the days of cas2 and 200+ fsb is no longer...? i see the 2600k is 100fsb :/

you seem to be the go to guy theocnoob :thup: i used to know the FSB and ram ratio thing, but completely forgot it now, any chance you can quickly explain it / link?

thanks!

edit: the new intel rig in my sig is p4 prescott, ocz 1gb plat. cas2 low voltage, xt800xt pe. those were the days!

Na i don't mind its all good maybe some info i might need to know anyways.

No I just retain worthless info.

The FSB is not an FSB. It is a reference clock. All other clocks must be divisible by the base clock. That's it. It could be 40 or 200 or Steve or Alex. Doesn't matter. It has no bearing on throughput like a BUS does. All feet can be divided into inches. Doesn't mean one inch can't play Crysis at 90FPS on high.

Wow, have i have no idea what you said :p is this something i should know when building my pc?

Na i don't mind its all good maybe some info i might need to know anyways.

Wow, have i have no idea what you said :p is this something i should know when building my pc?

If you want to get the most out of it yes. We used to use front side bus X multiplier = CPU frequency. Now it's baseclock x multiplier. Bus refers directly to the speed at which info is shuttled about the board. That has changed as direct links have developed. On 1366 QPI is essentially the bus speed, though it is not technically a bus.

Just architechtural things. If you learn how Core2 works you'll understand. Good basis to understanding why Bloomfield/Gulftown and Sandybridge communicate with their respective chipsets the way that they do and why those are improvements.

You don't need this for a GOOD coarse SB overclock. You need it for a good FINE overclock- but the actual realworld difference is maybe four percent at most. Mainly bragging rights.

Last edited:
No I just retain worthless info.

The FSB is not an FSB. It is a reference clock. All other clocks must be divisible by the base clock. That's it. It could be 40 or 200 or Steve or Alex. Doesn't matter. It has no bearing on throughput like a BUS does. All feet can be divided into inches. Doesn't mean one inch can't play Crysis at 90FPS on high.

woow u took that compliment well :fight:

thanks for the info though! didnt understand your first post really, but the second was good, i sort of get it. what about the cpu at 4.5 with 2:1 ratio to memory, i think i missed out the entire ddr2 specification as mine is still on ddr pc3200... how can you archive 2:1 ratio if SB base clock is only 100mhz where is minimium ddr3 bus speed is 400, up to 1000+

edit: after some research i get it, its cpu at 4500mhz to ram at 2250mhz(pc-18000), i.e. 2:1, just confusing initially as before it was bus speeds ratio, now its cpu frequency to ram speed ratio. learn something new everyday!

Last edited:
Well one of my parents friends got word that i was building a pc and he brought me a 2005 dell XPS 400 to see if i could fix it. I said maybe because im still really new to this but he didn't care if it cant be fixed since it hasn't been used it in years but would give me $300 to buy parts and i can keep the rest if fixed. The problem is, when he turns it on it goes on an infinite restarting loop and makes a real loud fan noise, I'm guessing its just an overheating problem and needs a new cpu cooler. Something like this?

Thermaltake CL-P0497 92mm Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler for Intel 95W Series
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106157

He just wants it to work nothing special but if that's the case i don't feel comfortable taking the $300 just for that. i wouldn't mind adding some stuff just to justify the money i get to keep for "fixing it". I think he is just trying help me with money for my build...

Thnx, srry kinda off topic post....

Last edited:
woow u took that compliment well :fight:

thanks for the info though! didnt understand your first post really, but the second was good, i sort of get it. what about the cpu at 4.5 with 2:1 ratio to memory, i think i missed out the entire ddr2 specification as mine is still on ddr pc3200... how can you archive 2:1 ratio if SB base clock is only 100mhz where is minimium ddr3 bus speed is 400, up to 1000+

edit: after some research i get it, its cpu at 4500mhz to ram at 2250mhz(pc-18000), i.e. 2:1, just confusing initially as before it was bus speeds ratio, now its cpu frequency to ram speed ratio. learn something new everyday!

Ratio of memory to CPU. In theory, if you're taking shuttling data in and out of a 4500Mhz CPU at 2250Mhz you can get in and out at even chunks without having to wait a clock cycle for overlapping chunks at a ratio that isn't directly divisible. This is only logical in my brain and would be more applicable to socket 775. I haven't actually tested this on 1366 or 1155. It's just a crackpot theory I have going that I'd like to test out.

In actual practice, ratios mean almost nothing on 1366 and even less on 1155. Again, don't concern yourself with this. It's just something that makes enough sense to me that I'll be doing it when I swap out to 2000Mhz stuff from my 1600Mhz stuff on my 4Ghz 950.

Back