• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new to seti/forum (sorta)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
---alright, seems I have run into another issue...thinking this one might sort itself back out though on its own though...

its been about 24 full hours now since I have had any finished work-units actually upload to the account. each time one finishes they move down to the bottom of my tasks screen and under status say "Ready to Report" I have probably 50-100 of them down there just sitting.

I've tried hitting update randomly here and there always just goes back to communications deferred for X amount of time, tried restarting both the application and the computer.

something that will just fix itself? I keep assuming it will but the hours keep passing, they keep piling up now I'm unsure!

Last edited:
Its an issue at Berkeley. I've got six of my seven boxes reporting just fine, but my main machine, has about 300 WUs to report now, getting HTML error when it tries to report. We're going into maintenance window time now so hopefully they'll get it sorted during maintenance.

cool, wasn't sure if I broke something or not!

was eager to see my credit moving, computer has been happily chomping away 24/7 now

I just installed everything yesterday morning and set up to join the team here under the same username. I didnt want to make a new thread so thought I would just post here.

I work 12 hour nights so I have a lot of idle time for my PC to run this, then I get home and sleep another 8 hours or so and go back to work for 12 hours.. so the days I'm working, I'm looking at a good chunck of free time for my system to be doin some work.

Anyway, I do have a quick question. About how much would my power bill increase with this per month? I have room mates and dont want to **** them off too bad with an electric bill increase thats suddenly steep.

I'm running an Intel Quadcore Q9550 2.8 slightly OC'd to 3.2 (need faster ram for my goal of 4.0) and ASUS Radeon HD 4850's x2 currently. I did the optimization and set up the video cards to run as well. I'm in the process of slowly upgrading my PC. I actually just got this ASUS GTX580 CUII today before coming to work and plan on installing it when I get home. How difficult will it be to re-run the optimizer to switch from my ati cards to this nvidia one?

pic because massive video card is massive
4907309.jpg

Last edited:
that is a massive video card O.O! love it haha

unfortunately I don't have much insight into all that since I'm pretty new to this but I also wondered about the power bill thing as well and from my guesstimation and based off my current power bill in the US the difference between our old computer being ran 24/7 (lil dual-core, nothing intensive being ran on it at all other than every day use, no number crunching, video editing, gaming, etc) and new computer (I5-2500k OC'd at 4.5ghz with a radeon 6670) at full load 24/7 will be about a $20-30 increase to the bill far as I can guestimate for us. but that is going from a 5 year old computer that is mostly used as a media center, to modern times

(basis being random research online, no actual checking of power usage and comparing to price per Kwh..although looking up online makes me want to get a kill-a-watt)

as far as re-running optimizer should be no problem, I had to modify and reinstall things a few times through my trial and error and it gave me no problems.

edit: unrelated but up to 6k RAC!

Last edited:
I dont even think it would jump $20 imo if you're swtiching from two 4850s to a single 580 given that the difference in full load wattage is just 24 watts from the the two. Not sure where you live, in Texas, power is ~ 9 cents per kw/h. So let's say you have a 130 watt CPU and 244 watt GPU. 730 hours per month if it ran max TDP load all month non stop. That's a total of roughly 273 kw/h or $24.58 per month at current Texas rates. Since you're not planning on running 24/7, I think the electric bill impact would be less.

Awesome, thanks for the quick replies. I live in Vermont and am not too sure what the price is per kwh. If its only around 20 a month thats not too bad. Installed the new card this morning.. its so quiet I love it. Going to OC it some later.

Here in this part of Michigan it is 8 cents/Kwh and my last electric bill came out at $180. This is before my new dual Xeon rig mind you.

I'v set my 2700k rig to stop downloading new WUs. It'd get used from time to time when the team needs an extra boost or for other competition but not for 24/7 anymore.

still haven't officially hit the limit for my RAC yet although it has slowed down a bit think I'm just about at max per day but ended up breaking the 10k mark with almost a quarter million built up overall so far.

slowly inching my way up, climbing over the pile of former crunchers here!

Back