• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to watercooling - Questions about kits

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
alright well heres the thing, the 2700 is basically just a 2600k clocked by default a little higher than the 2600k. if you have a look at a couple benchies, youll see that theres almost no difference between the two at all. i dunno what kinda prices they sell for (cbf to look right now) but id imagine the tiny gain you get from the 2700k compared to a 2600k is absolutely not worth it. going from a 2500k to a 2700k isnt really much of an upgrade anyways imo. personally im waiting for the ivybridge cpus, however i heard they jacked up the price cause amd's bulldozer cpus arent really that impressive. oops kinda got off topic here, my bad :rolleyes:

while we're on this topic, im actually not sure if my maximus 4 will support the new ivy bridges, i sure hope it dus, coz den im defs leaping for the new ivy bridges :comp: . anyways back to wcing now

while we're on this topic, im actually not sure if my maximus 4 will support the new ivy bridges, i sure hope it dus, coz den im defs leaping for the new ivy bridges :comp: . anyways back to wcing now

the high end ones wont (bigger cpu socket), but i think i remember reading some of the cheaper ones will use the same socket as the sandy bridges.

ok, i've been researching bout EK waterblocks, are they good quality, and are the Laing D5's good

ok...

Im usually not one to piggy back a rant, but you totally missed the point of conundrums posts.

You need to stop with the parts lists, stop with wondering if this part is better then this part, and just read every sticky under the watercooling section.

I am even going to take this a step further as it seems (only an assumption) that you are spending mommy and daddies money on all this. If so do it right, i would be every person trying to give you advice right now spent at least a month of solid research before we all pulled the trigger.

SLOW DOWN.

(Oh and your rant about never using distilled water, that was funny. Disturbing, uneducated and sad...but disturbing none the less)

skineelabs seems pretty good, but i cant seem to find any 240mm rads in their reviews...

You've gotta be joking right? What's the difference between a 120.2 and a 120.3? Just multiply the dissipation capability by 2/3 and you're done, there's no difference in design.

My advice is to skip all this watercooling nonsense. Water cooling is a money pit designed to bleed you dry. If you insist on having water cooling, get serious; buy a ThermalTake Bigwater or a Zalman Reserator. That's the good stuff.

My advice is to skip all this watercooling nonsense. Water cooling is a money pit designed to bleed you dry. If you insist on having water cooling, get serious; buy a ThermalTake Bigwater or a Zalman Reserator. That's the good stuff.

:rofl: For a minute there was all ready to write an angry response and then I thought about it just a little

Ok start again. Iwanna go wc coz my pc gets hot like a cow. Needs cool it down. I'm using a midtower and getting some serious het stuck inside. I've tried all in one kits and they are a pain to use and perform horribly. So wanting to go for a full on water rig that cools my whole pc,goi and CPU. I canonly use 240 and 120 rads. Ive read most of the begonners guides to wc, and I want to get phenomenal temps like 50 or under

Ive read most of the begonners guides to wc, and I want to get phenomenal temps like 50 or under

Most of what guides? The ones on this forum? If you haven't read EVERYTHING in the sticky on this forum, that is your first step. Step two is to understand it all (feel free to ask questions about any of the knowledge up there). Step three, calculate your heaload. Step four, pick your parts based on that heatload. Step five, ask us if the parts you picked are ok so that we can tell you you did it all wrong and send you back to step one...eventually you'll make it to steps six and seven, which is buying and assembling your loop, but you're way far off from that. Questions?

FatCow. Me again. You need a NEW CASE. #1. The one you have won't hold the cooling you need. May I suggest the M8 from Caselabs. I also have been looking at it for my next build.

You need 120x3, two of them as a minimum for rads.

The rest of the stuff is common sense and a bit of work on your part.

Since your an A+ student with an IQ above the normal populace, you should have no problem figuring it out in a few days.

When you build the rig, please post your results.

Rest of the members of this forum, I suggest we take this path and pray for the young man.........

OP, whether you are able to see or not, everyone in this thread is trying to save you wasted time, money and unnecessary headache. Most of them have years of water cooling experience and have seen countless over enthusiastic newbies jump the gun and crash and burn. You're putting water inside of a computer. It's wise to take it slow and understand everything you possibly can before you commit to buying a single shred of equipment. And water cooling isn't magic either. A single 120.2 rad won't magically dissipate the heat you need it to. Do your heat load calculations, compare different rads, and you'll see that they're not just trying to get you to buy things needlessly. If you don't want their help, go ahead and do whatever you want, but remember that you were warned.

Most of what guides? The ones on this forum? If you haven't read EVERYTHING in the sticky on this forum, that is your first step. Step two is to understand it all (feel free to ask questions about any of the knowledge up there). Step three, calculate your heaload. Step four, pick your parts based on that heatload. Step five, ask us if the parts you picked are ok so that we can tell you you did it all wrong and send you back to step one...eventually you'll make it to steps six and seven, which is buying and assembling your loop, but you're way far off from that. Questions?
i been reading the stuff that was posted earlier on by conundrum and watched TTL's guide to watercooling. ok, i found out my cpu pumps out a hefty 150 watt on cinebench and 4.4, my gpus like to give out quite a lot of power, as stated here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689613, but then what hits me is this guy literally using a midget rad to cool 3 GTX 480's! I know that gtx 480's are absolutely mind-bogglingly hot and i really wonder whether i need so many rads... http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad236/thobel/Assorted053.jpg. so now that i know my heat is wattage, i needa choose come bits, so any1 to suggest the rads, pump, reservoir, tubing and fittings? btw dus 2 x 240mm rad work just as well as a 480mm rad, provided they are the same in depth, and everything and stuff.

2 120.2 is more restrictive, but generally, yes. GPU cooling is a completely different game from CPU cooling, you've got a lot more surface area on a GPU die and much better contact with the IHS. GPUs are also happier at higher temps than CPUs are, so you can have a GPU loop at 20C dT and not really have much of a problem whereas a CPU loop at 20C dT is a pretty huge problem.

ok, now i im thinking that if the liquid travelled more slowly, it'll get rid of more heat, but put more strain on the pump. so im thinking of getting a rad that has quite a lot of surface area. any suggestions?

Suggestion: ACTUALLY READ THE STICKY. It covers this. More surface area is always gonna be cooler (ceteris paribus), slower flow hurts cooling performance (again ceteris paribus)...you really needa stop itching to buy things and start actually LEARNING this stuff so you know what to buy. Don't make this like talking to a brick wall, give us the benefit of the doubt and actually do some of the stuff we suggest. Better yet, if you don't understand why you're doing something, ask why we recommend it. We're not just telling you these things for ****s and giggles, it's not worth our time.

The statement the OP made just solidifies the fact that he has not researched even half as much as he should.

(I dont mean to talk to you (OP) as if your not here but it seems you aren't listening anyways)

Stop posting...start reading

Back