• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New WIFI standard coming next year

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seems like good news for me, but probably not in the way they intended. 5 Mbps service and I live alone, so money I don't have to spend. :clap:

Neat!

Worth waiting for if you are part of the 1% whose bandwidth can exceeds ac standards..... which some are capable of 1.73 Gbps (1730Mbps or 216MBs) on wifi already.

With ac, I have 8 high bw devices attached and happily plugging along without issue. If you home is loaded with IoT items, this can be a benefit.

If you home is loaded with IoT items, this can be a benefit.

You mean 2 PC'S, 1 laptop, 5 phones (3 of which in the hands of teenage daughters - so in use 24/7) and 2 tablets for example ? Just throwing out random numbers, honest [emoji24]

Well, that is a given...but more IoT things. Like your thermostat, garage door, fridge, dishwasher, RING devices, dog tracking, etc... IoT.

AC can handle many things already. Currently managing:

Wi-fi:
2 TVs
3 Wi-Fi PCs/Laptops
1 Chromecast
2 Phones
2 Tablets
1 Garage Door
1 Dog Tracking device (she's a runner. :()
1 Smart HVAC controller

Wired
My PC and the test bench

I don't have any household hardware on remote except the TV, after all, what are the kids for if not to fetch/carry stuff [emoji23]

Back in those days, the word "remote" was a geography term.

Nice.

AC bandwidth/throughput is currently "enough" for my needs, an earlier gen AC1900 Nighthawk can handle all my toys. (I can only watch one show on Netflix while playing one game at a time :D )

But I am interested in the idea of expanding into the 1GHz band and

Improved performance (as much as 4x) at the maximum range of an access point

Better/wider coverage is always needed.

Gee, some things that didn't exist when I was a wee lad. Let's see, cell phones, personal computers, cable TV, VHS machines, DVDs, half the NFL, Intel, AMD, nVidia... LOL

Back