• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Overclocking AMD(vision) a10-4600M processor (HELP AND ADVICE PLEASE)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pielovinkyle

I am new to this, and all forum posting so if I do something wrong please tell me and I will try to fix it!

So I have a lenovo Z585 laptop, that I would like to overclock here are it's specs:
AMD A10-4600M Accelerated Processor
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
15.6” Backlit LED HD display (1366x768), 16:9 widescreen
Integrated AMD Radeon™ HD 7660G graphics
6GB DDR3 memory, 750GB HDD storage
Integrated high-speed 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
Integrated DVD reader/writer
USB 2.0, USB 3.0 connectors & 5-in-1 card-reader
Integrated 720p HD webcam
Integrated stereo speakers supporting Dolby Home Theatre v4 audio enhancement
HD graphics support & HDMI output

I don't need to improve it much just a little bit to help stay on the safe side.
I mostly need it for emulation programs, based off the program my cpu is being used profusely ranging from 50-100% and my gpu only 10-30%

However with the cpu being used that much I almost get the fps's I would like to have I just need to increase the average fps by 10-20percent and it would be perfect.

So I think like 2.7Ghz might be enough however I don't know much about it!

So I would like for someone to give me advice on what to do, if overclocking is worth it, and if it is how to do it safely.:D

Being a laptop, there are probably no overclocking tools in the bios. Heat and marginal cooling is such an issue in laptops that it would not be a good idea to push it anymore anyway.

:welcome:to the forum pielovinkyle. I know it's a bummer :rain:
I'll second that one Trents. Laptops just don't have the parts for it!!

I did some research and saw some varied answers about whether or not it was a viable option :cry:

Do you guys have any suggestions to improve my performance then?
I checked my cpu while running the PCSX2 and it only runs at 2.7ish ghz is the promised 3.2 just a lie or does the "turbo max" not kick in? :(

Also I have a cooling tray and my laptop is positioned ever so gently in a nice cross breeze created by my ceiling fan and ac so I thought overheating wouldn't have been much of an issue:screwy:

I did some research and saw some varied answers about whether or not it was a viable option :cry:

Do you guys have any suggestions to improve my performance then?
I checked my cpu while running the PCSX2 and it only runs at 2.7ish ghz is the promised 3.2 just a lie or does the "turbo max" not kick in? :(

Also I have a cooling tray and my laptop is positioned ever so gently in a nice cross breeze created by my ceiling fan and ac so I thought overheating wouldn't have been much of an issue:screwy:

The turbo doesn't kick in on because the CPU deems itself too hot probably.
Running PCSX2 on a laptop is not the best idea in any shape or form anyway. PCSX2 doesn't even run well on some super high end PC's and favors Intel by a lot.

I played through Dragon Quest 8 on PCSX2 with a AMD FX-8350 that was overclocked and still sometimes I would drop below 60 FPS. It's a bummer I know but PCSX2 is really demanding on the CPU and your CPU simply is not strong enough for the more demanding PS2 games. If somehow you could get hold on a modded bios for your system and get it to miraculous overclock it to about 4Ghz then you would be fine.(THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE IN ANY WAY THOUGH)

I didn't really lose interest, more like just hope.. :( Hahaha
I have been really busy with graduation happening, and such.
However I do thank you all for your help!
I would also like to clarify whether or not you believe there is anything I can do to improve, like adding ram, or software, etc.

I didn't really lose interest, more like just hope.. :( Hahaha
I have been really busy with graduation happening, and such.
However I do thank you all for your help!
I would also like to clarify whether or not you believe there is anything I can do to improve, like adding ram, or software, etc.

It may be possible to upgrade to 8gb of ram, at faster speed with tighter timings. You will have to check specs on that machine to see what it can handle.

And I would definitely get an SSD drive in there, if you can deal with less storage capacity. That will really help improve the overall speed of system boot up, program loading, transfers etc. Highly recommended.

Sorry I should have been a bit more specific :/
To improve my emulation speeds.
I have used about 450 gigs so I can't really handle the ssd :(/afford haha!
I believe this laptop can handle 16gigs of ram.

It may be possible to upgrade to 8gb of ram, at faster speed with tighter timings. You will have to check specs on that machine to see what it can handle.

And I would definitely get an SSD drive in there, if you can deal with less storage capacity. That will really help improve the overall speed of system boot up, program loading, transfers etc. Highly recommended.

Storm-chaser a SSD will not help him with emulation. The emulation gets loaded from an ISO and uses about 4MB off HD bandwith xD.

Getting more RAM won't work either. The program uses a max off 2GB's off ram since PSCX2 is a 32bit emulator.

His laptop is just too slow to get a smooth experience with PCSX2. it really is a bummer.

Also PCSX2 uses a maximum of only 2 cores, which means it favors a high clock speed.

Most games will only run on good speeds when on about 4Ghz.

Some information to be found = here: http://pcsx2.net/support/links/faq.html and to get a better view of what certain processors do with PSCX2: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Sticky-Will-PCSX2-run-fast-on-my-computer

Last edited:
Storm-chaser a SSD will not help him with emulation. The emulation gets loaded from an ISO and uses about 4MB off HD bandwith xD.
I know that's why the thread starter specified in his reply after my response he was asking regarding emulation not general system performance.

Make sure your power settings are adjusted to full performance and you also may be able to use a program called throttle stop to adjust your Multiplier and core voltage, among other things. Works great with some of the Intel procs but I don't know if its compatible with yours but a cool program nevertheless.

I have been playing around with the settings and I am getting pretty solid results all of the games I have tried now are playable running at least 45fps. I have it to where it's running 2.7Ghz and there is a setting that allows it to utilize more processors or at least that what it appears to do!
But I believe a desktop would probably be much less of a hassle :/

Back